Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Generic strips in a OneTouch Ultra2 glucose meter

Go down

Generic strips in a OneTouch Ultra2 glucose meter Empty Generic strips in a OneTouch Ultra2 glucose meter

Post by Admin Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:17 pm

Amazon taking their own sweet time shipping my order. Which includes some very inexpensive generic strips that supposedly work in One Touch glucose meters. The official OneTouch strips are coded 25. Supposedly to use the generic strips you have to change this code to 49. Lot misinformation out there. One Touch instructions themselves are really esoteric. Something about a "C" button which my meter doesnt have. And then people reviewing them on Amazon saying you cant adjust meters made after like 2010.

So this afternoon, decided to play a bit. My meter was purchased at Wallywart this May so definitely a newer one. The confusing OneTouch instructions do say to insert a strip and when the code 25 comes up for 3 seconds, before the apply blood screen comes up, to push the "C" button and hold it until you get the 1-49 code you want. Well only three buttons on the thing and none of them labeled "C". So quickly found out the "enter" button not right one. And nothing in the 'settings'. However either of the two arrow buttons for up and down for navigating menu both work. I was easily able to get to 49 just holding either button while the strip code was showing on screen for those three seconds after inserting a strip. I assume thats trouble people were having, the old meters probably had a "C" button. Just the instructions were never updated. Not in OneTouch's interest to make it easy to use far cheaper generic strips. Their profit is from selling their expensive proprietary strips.

If you dont change the code to whats on the bottle, you will get very inaccurate readings.

Post back when I get the generic strips. Hopefully they will get here before I run out of official OneTouch brand strips. Then I can try both together for few readings, see what the difference is. If I dont get the new strips before I run out, will just go few days without strips. Not giving some crazy price locally for the official strips. Just buy a less expensive meter with less expensive official strips for that meter if it comes down to needing meter NOW. Companies dont make much off the meters themselves, they make money off their name brand strips and the usb cables to download stored readings if one is too lazy to use a pencil and paper.

Probably even good idea to have a spare meter. Though if the generic strips work, the OneTouch meter plus the generic strips probably cheapest way to go. Rather have a different brand meter as backup (and as way to do a comparison reading) so maybe want to search some more as to something with strips in the bargain basement price range.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Generic strips in a OneTouch Ultra2 glucose meter Empty Re: Generic strips in a OneTouch Ultra2 glucose meter

Post by Admin Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:27 am

Dont always get stuff updated. The first generic strips I used in this meter were Unistrips. Very inaccurate readings.

Second generic strips I tried were GenStrip50. These work about as well as the expensive strips sold by manufacturer of this meter.

They are still more expensive than the Prodigy meter strips. So the Prodigy meter became my primary meter and the OneTouch my backup meter. The Prodigy strips are now less than ten cents each if you buy 300 at a time on Amazon. The Prodigy strips take less blood, but occasionally will react wildly if exposed to some substances. Cassia cinnamon for example. Where as Ceylon cinnamon, no problem. When I get a wild reading, then I use the OneTouch for a reality check. This morning for instance the Prodigy gave me reading over 200 the first time and 177 the second. And no I didnt eat a candy bar unless I drove to town in my sleep and bought one and ate it... The OneTouch said 134 which I know to be lot closer to reality. No idea what caused the wild reading, its doing fine now.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down