Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drunken Kindle.... too much wine

Go down

Drunken Kindle.... too much wine Empty Drunken Kindle.... too much wine

Post by Admin Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:42 pm

I had been trying to get KindleForPC working on my current desktop computer. Its the motherboard from a Compaq 100B all in one but in normal ATX case.

Anyway I tried win10-64 and win10-32. It would install in both, run in both, but neither could then register with Amazon and download books. I made sure firewall wasnt blocking it. That was just strange, no problem running KindleForPC on any other win10 computer.

Tried latest wine 3.0r6 for 64bit in my Puppy Slacko linux. Nope, KindleForPC crashed during install. Tried Xubuntu. Apt-get install wine. Nope, crashy, crashy when I tried to install Kindle. Tried Sparky that comes with a version wine. It did better. Least got splash screen before it crashed. Then searched and found older version Kindle. 1.15 or something like that. It would install and load. Even let me register it with Amazon. But crashed when I tried to download a book. I tried updating wine in Sparky and hosed xwindow server. Bye bye Sparky.

Got to reading on Puppy forum and somebody had made a "portable wine" intended to work on most modern Puppies. Got the latest version 2.16. Huge file, but hey I was getting desperate. I clicked on the file and got popup to move it to /mnt/home. I did and clicked on it. It wanted wine-mono and wine-gecko. Ok, let it download those, this is a good sign. Then tried latest version Kindle and crashy, not even kindle splash screen. Well in for a penny... I tried the older version. Bingo. It installed, let me register it with Amazon, and then let me download books and read books. Very stable. I am thrilled. It works and in my current favorite Puppy Slacko64 6.9.9.9 no less. Slacko Puppies not as friendly to wine as Tahrpup or Racy. Kinda think this portable version might work in any current version linux though, its pretty self contained.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Drunken Kindle.... too much wine Empty Re: Drunken Kindle.... too much wine

Post by Admin Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:51 pm

Oh one note. If you are using that Portable Wine 2.16 on a Slacko64 Puppy (and any other 64bit Puppy), you need to use 32bit-compat-slacko-14.2.sfs Well thats easy way, you can also determine exact libraries needed and just install them.

This adds some 32bit libraries that this version wine needs. Helps if you are wanting to run any other 32bit programs also.

I found this out when I installed Puppy to internal SSD (the save file on original Puppy was too large for this SSD so had to do fresh save file) and moved portable wine to the new Puppy. Had forgotten I had added that compatibility sfs to the previous install.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon May 14, 2018 6:37 am

Portable WINE is really nice. I just copy portable WINE directory from one Puppy to another, click and set to go. Just works, no having to re-register new install with Amazon, Amazon doesnt realize its a different computer. Whereas if I installed Kindle app to a different windows computer, would have to register it.

I just copied it to the old Toshiba laptop today. Worked fine and since this is 32bit Puppy, didnt need the 32bit compatibility library.

Was curious and looking up current versions. Portable WINE version now up to 3.3 and Kindle for PC version up to 1.23. No reason to upgrade anything, the versions I have now work well and very stable. The font for book text is fine, but font for the menus/dictionary bit faded looking. I suppose it uses some windows only font that I havent managed to install to Puppy.

I did run across somebody saying newest version Kindle does work with newest version WINE, but it wont let you register. You actually have to install older Kindle version, register, then upgrade. Then it works.

Seriously, would think even if Amazon didnt want to bother making a dedicated Linux version of Kindle app, they would at least make sure it works well with WINE.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down