Programmable electronic ignigion

Go down

Programmable electronic ignigion

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:33 am

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2013.htm

https://www.retromotioninnovations.com/

First one is $200 and second one is $300.  Whats interesting about these is that they are mostly aimed at the antique car market rather than the hotrod market.

These let you custom create a custom timing curve by attaching your laptop and creating a map.  Reading about them both, might suggest the software is far superior on the second.  Whether worth an extra $100, dont know.  Next cheapest was nearly $400 and aimed more at hotrod market, which think might be hard pressed to justify.  You can come close by modifying the centrifugal advance weights and springs in your distributor with $10 kit, but lot more difficult to make improvement and easy to un-improve things.

These are certainly lot more practical than Megasquirt if you just want to improve ignition  and not convert to fuel injection.

If you are after fuel mileage on older engine, maybe two most important things are timing advance curve and of course the cam  profile.  You see lot dishing of carburetors anymore, but seriously if you dont over carb your engine and have it jetted properly for the engine, then not serious difference between carb and fuel injection far as mileage.  Most people compare fuel injection to some of horrible emission carb engines of 70s and 80s.   Way back in the day I bought a low mile 1971 Buick LeSabre.  4000 pound car, with a 350-V8 Buick engine (back then each GM division had its own unique line of V8s)  Had 3.09 rear end and TH350 transmission.  Got 13mpg city and 22mpg highway.  No overdrive, no lockup torque converter.  This was a pre-emissions federal engine.  Simple points type ignition.

Now by mid to late 70s this same engine in similar weight vehicle got 13mpg hiway.   And this later car had electronic ignition (still non-computer) and lockup torque converter.  Different cam, different advance curve, and slightly lower cylinder compression.

Another example.  I had a 1973 C20 pickup with Chevy 350 and TH350.  Pollution engine.  5000 pound truck.  Dont remember gear ratio.  Got 8mpg.   Threw a rod.  Cheapest engine I found was a 60s Buick 350.  Partly cause I was already familiar with them.  Partly cause it was like $100.  Same transmission, same carburetor off the Chevy engine.  Got 16mpg.  That by way is pretty darn good for a 3/4 ton with an automatic.  At time I was thinking cause Buick 350 was longer stroke than Chevy 350.  But anymore, I think it was more pollution engine versus pre-pollution era engine.  Now compare that to the 4200 pound Ranger with a 4.0L V6 engine, computer, port injection, manual transmission.  Best its done is 16mpg.  Does anything seem kinda wacko here......

I find tinkering interesting but seriously dont need another vehicle.   I would love to tinker with a carburetor V8 with manual transmission and see what best mileage I could get.   More curiousity than need.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down