Toshiba Satellite A105-S4014

Go down

Toshiba Satellite A105-S4014

Post by Admin on Thu May 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Guess I was bored. Saw this on ebay, no bids for $16 shipped. No battery, no hard drive, and funky power button. Auction title says Core Duo. Down a ways says Core 2 Duo. 2GB RAM but looking it up can take upto 4GB. Tail end of the XP era laptops. 15 inch screen.

Of course I win it with my minimum bid. Get it yesterday. Its a 15V laptop. So use the Toughbook power supply with an adapter. Boot from live CD. Says it cant boot 64bit. Huh? Boots 32bit fine. Seems its one of those early rare CoreDuo that have two core but not the instructions built in to boot 64bit. Somebody had replaced the keyboard, this one wasnt exact match so the power button is off quarter inch. Had to remove plastic button on top and reach back with toothpick to push the actual button on power button board underneath. Now it has really nice easy to look at display. For laptop this old I was impressed. Keyboard nice feel to it as is the trackpad.

I truly like Puppy Slacko64 beta v.6.9.9.9 so downloaded the 32bit version of it. Runs nicely. I just ran it from live cd since I dont have a mSATA to 2.5 SATA adapter yet to put in a small SSD as internal drive.

Now downside. Bios is password locked. Yes the nice seller didnt mention this. And thats probably good enough to get my money back but its really not that bad for $16 shipped cost. I did find instructions online to unlock the bios, you do have to remove keyboard and the wifi card, then short out two junctions on the motherboard. I imagine bios is already set to default boot the internal hard drive as first option so once I put in the SSD, probably get by without going into bios. As is now it does offer a boot choice screen if you press F12 while booting. You cant set a default from this screen, just a one time choice.

No real repair for the power button, will have to just carve out bit plastic so can push actual power button underneath without lot hassle. Sad thing I really didnt need the laptop. Used laptop prices going up so guess I just wanted to prove to myself I could still find an under $20 useful laptop. Wouldnt believe how well the used versions of those mini laptops are selling, the ones with Chromebook hardware but have win10 installed. Even hosed ones are bringing upwards $40 to $50 now. I get they would be useful for somebody like student that needs small light weight laptop that can go all day on one battery charge. But $50 for one you have to fix before you can use it? I mean these were selling new in box as cheap as $100 a pop as Black Friday special.

Oh I sorta get it, this Toshiba is heavy and even if I put new battery in it, might last 2 hour on a charge at most. But lot of those little mini laptops sold to people that didnt even need a laptop, just were buying cheapest NEW windows computer they could find and then were disappointed cause it is tiny and plastic with very limited storage to try and force you to pay to store stuff in the cloud. They'd be lot happier with the old Toshiba.... well one made functional. The kind person paying $200 for one of the mini plastic laptops isnt the kind of person that wants to think about what goes on inside their laptop. They just want plug and play like a toaster. Thats why lot of them pissed off when they didnt work well new out of box and truly needed lot tinkering.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Toshiba Satellite A105-S4014

Post by Admin on Fri May 11, 2018 8:49 am

Well that was nice. Seller got back to me with password. His password started with "$" so at first was somehow thinking this was a prompt and so password didnt work. But finally struck me this was part of password and bingo, got into bios settings.

I cleared password but been thinking, maybe smarter to have a password, not for protection of computer but so somebody playing around doesnt foolishly set a password and forget it. Though cant imagine who that would be. No kids in my life. And that would be a kid sort of thing to do.

The old Toshiba isnt anything to write home about I suppose. But do kinda like it. Nice display and comfortable keyboard/trackpad. I really wish they made nice trackpads and keyboards like this on cheaper laptops. On lot products, seems like they want to kinda torture people into upgrading from low end stuff.

Looking again on Amazon, etc. what cheapest retail home computer (laptop, desktop, or nuc) you could buy. Really dont get much for your money looking for low end computer if you arent willing to "refurbish" it yourself. Yet in reviews you see people saying they bought it cause it was cheapest computer they could find. Well cheapest NEW one I suppose.

I would hate to lug this Toshiba around all day and even with new battery not very long use on full charge. But honest for basic home computer running the version of Puppy Slacko that I mentioned, its fine. And if one just absolutely had to, could probably put 32bit copy of win10 on it. Just out of curiosity, ought to try that, see how well it runs. Still seems weird to have a two core processor that cant run a 64bit system. I knew such existed, but this is first one I have seen. No idea why Intel ever made such a thing.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down