Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lost my Samsung flip phone

Go down

Lost my Samsung flip phone Empty Lost my Samsung flip phone

Post by Admin Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:27 pm

They dont make that model anymore.  I found used one on ebay in good shape for $20, but $20 for a used 'free' phone???  Newer 3G models (ATT network in USA requires minimum of 3G capable phone) are like $50 and up new.  WTF?  The Samsung phone plus SIM came FREE when I signed up with PureTalkUSA.  They no longer give free phone to new customer.  They dont sell flip phones.  You can buy a SIM for $3 and use it in any phone usable on ATT network or they have small expensive assortment of smart phones if you want to buy a phone from them.

I dont make many calls and want one that battery charge will last a month if phone is left turned off.  Doesnt happen with a smart phone.  Finally found Sonim XP1520.  Its a candybar phone but seems high quality if rather chunky.  The Samsung was tiny in comparison. They use a unique charging cord, the cheapest specimen that comes with cord was $25.  The cheapest without a cord, $6.  I bought the $6 one and an $8 cord.  Both arrived today.  Really nice looking condition for $6, obviously had very little use.  Replacement SIM supposed to come today too but didnt.  Suppose either tomorrow or Monday.

Like say I just need a simple cheap 'old man' phone for emergencies and for a phone number of record.  Try doing anything anymore without a phone number....  and pay phones seem a thing of the past.  PureTalk plan is $10 per month (I am grandfathered in to old plan price, new customer have to pay $15 for same plan), cant even remember how many minutes that buys, but unused ones roll over and at this point I have a mountain of rollover minutes.  Could talk straight for a month I think and not run out of minutes.  So who needs an unlimited plan?

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Lost my Samsung flip phone Empty Re: Lost my Samsung flip phone

Post by Admin Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:28 am

Ok, update. The Sonim works fine. PureTalkUSA wanted me to call a particular number to activate my replacement SIM. Ok, how exactly am I supposed to do that without a working phone? Not like there are payphones anymore. I emailed friend in another state if she would call them. She did, apparently no problem, emailed me back to fire it up and after brief conniption fit, it updated and said PureTalk on screen with current dates. Tried making call to my friend and seems to be ok phone. I sure cant complain for $6 phone. When new it wasnt some give away cheapie. I have used cheapies, and know the difference. Its a chunky monkey of a phone, but better quality than even my old Samsung flip phone. Still preferred the Samsung flip, it was easy to carry in my pocket and didnt feel like I was holding a dinner plate up against my head. Sorry I just grew up with landline ATT phones where handset was whole lot more comfortable, not some straight sided slab.

Ok, fine and good. But with all this looking and searching and such, I found both PureTalkUSA and Red Pocket MObile now let you tether with no extra charges. I know I was looking at pure talk current TOS and no mention of forbidding tethering like they used to have. Third party pay as you go forum said same thing. They are now ok with tethering though they offer no technical support, you are on your own.

And Red Pocket Mobile, right in FAQ, says tethering is fine. Red Pocket customer service from reviews on Amazon (they sell plans on ebay and Amazon and their own website, different variations on all three) said their customer service leaves lot to be desired. So guessing you are pretty much on your own as to tethering there too.

Tracfone/NET10/StraightTalk (all Tracfone companies) still forbid tethering. Cricket charges a fee to tether.

But anyway Red Pocket offers plan cheap as $20 per month (on ebay only) with unlimited voice/text and 5GB high speed data per month. The 5GB only on GSMA network (ATT) and it doesnt quit cold turkey when you burn through data, its throttled to 2G speed rest of month. Now similar Red Pocket plan on Amazon is same except data does cut off cold turkey. So with Red Pocket you really have to pay attention to plan details that you sign up for. Can vary between very similar plans.

So now I am thinking of trying one month of Red Pocket for $30, but of course to tether need a smart phone. So been looking. Like pulling teeth to figure out best choice. Older ok if it does 4G LTE, since at most I will need to run a tethering app if phone has built in hotspot/tethering disabled. Beyond that could care less about apps, seems crazy people want to stare at tiny screen trying to do stuff better done on desktop or laptop. Even phones unlocked usually originally came from a provider that wanted to ban or charge for tethering. To use native tethering you would have to root such a phone.

Way back when I had a Boost Mobile account on Sprint Network. The phone I used for unofficial tethering (bought from Boost Mobile) had settings greyed out for native Android tethering. I got $10 app that did an end run. Sprint wasnt super fussy about tethering as long as you didnt abuse it and use huge amount data. You couldnt really as think back then it was throttled after like 2GB. Even throttled it was faster than dialup. That phone was nightmare as a "modem", had to leave it plugged in all time and it got HOT. Cant remember, think it was a low end LG. I remember it cost like $80 new.

Looking on ebay seems like Samsung Rugby might be good choice in smart phone for my needs. You can buy one in decent shape unlocked for around $30. Even cheaper for really beat up one that is still functional. Doesnt even have to be unlocked if its ATT version since I would be using Red Pocket or PureTalk on ATT network.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:31 am

Oh, not big deal to me but ran across mention of way to have emergency phone for $30 a year. That is cheapest I have ever seen it. Might be useful to some. This is on Verizon network.

Light Barebones Usage. PagePlus Cellular has a Pay As You Go plan where you can buy a $10 card that lasts 120 days. The rate is a flat 6 cents a minute for talk, and 5 cents per text. You must buy another card after it expires in 120 days. This means you could use 500 minutes a year for $2.50 per month ($30 per year). PagePlus now accepts 4G smartphones.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:48 am

Oh while thinking about it. Like say I am grandfathered in under old no longer available voice only plan at PureTalkUSA with rollover minutes (I have a mountain of them). Well looking at their site and new plans start at $20 and up, all unlimited voice/text and vary in data. So it would seem. Then I found link to alternative start page for them that still offers a $10 a month plan, something like 400 minutes, 300 texts, and 300MB data. Absolutely no details as to whether minutes roll over, would guess not. Now rollover minutes meaningless obviously on the unlimited plans. But still its $10 a month. Now why current $10 plan offered on one start page and not the other????

Here is the start page with the current $10 plan: https://www.puretalkusa.com/landing/amac-plans

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:37 pm

Ok, been looking at data plans and some phone data plans lot cheaper than hotspot plans. Red Pocket Mobile especially has some attractive plans. So need phone capable of tethering or with app to act as a hotspot. Red Pocket right in their FAQ says tethering ok. PureTalkUSA doesnt mention it in current TOS, where as they used to forbid it. Tracfone companies still forbid it.

So been looking at smart phones, figuring I needed a tethering app since lot of cells unless international have the tethering settings greyed out.

This morning googled tethering with dumb phones. 2G phones like old Sprint I had are history in USA.
For 3G and 4G, mostly see Nokia mentioned and one Sanyo. Then one mention of Sonim. Yes the Sonim XP5560 does. I even download manual and find this:

USB Function
Phone can be connected to PC as a Mass storage
using USB cable. When the phone is connected to the
computer via a USB cable, the following two options are
displayed:
•Mass storage: Select this to use the phone as mass
storage device to transfer data between the Sonim
XP5560 BOLT phone and your computer.
•COM port: Select this to use the phone for creating
a USB tethering connection.

Thats it, only mention, no more details. Just this brief cryptic mention. No idea if I need drivers on computer or what. Ok, couldnt be my XP1520 has this feature...

Can I tether my XP1520 BOLT SL for Internet access? The Sonim XP1520 BOLT SL supports tethering. Wireless dial -up connection can be created on your laptop/ computer.

Assume same way the XP5560 does it. Just love all the details on how to use it... NOT! Option only appears with cable connected. No mention of drivers or anything. Guessing this wasnt a widely used option on these phones.....

Learn something everyday. Now to see if there were drivers required and if still available. Guessing if there are, they will be for like winXP 32bit. Unless somehow they got built into linux kernel....

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:38 pm

After logging off I tried tethering my Sonim cell phone to computer.  With phone and computer on, no hunting for connection settings, the phone automatically saw the usb cable connection and asked if I wanted mass storage or com port.  Com port.  Fine.  Now on Puppy Linux, I bought up connection manager.  This is interesting.  Puppy saw the phone as an external modem, tried communicating with it,  and set it up using the dialup modem screen.  It apparently has any necessary drivers for this phone.  It doesnt dial anything like this, just uses this interface, this is how it used to do it way back with Sprint/Nextel 2G network with tethering that old dumb phone.  You put #777 in telephone number box and make up something for username and password.  It doesnt actually use this info, but the dialer program needs something in these boxes.  I didnt try to actually connect since I dont have a data plan on PureTalkUSA account.  No reason to believe it wouldnt work as long as there is a data plan.

Ok, googling and my memories are of 2G Sprint, ATT little different apparently.  Pretty sure the username and password are meaningless, the phone is already connected to network, you are just interfacing computer with the phone's already established network connection.  Nothing is dialed, nothing is logged into.

As for the number to enter, that differs from carrier to carrier. Sprint uses the phone number #777, while AT&T is either *99# or *99***3#, depending on your phone. For Sprint and Verizon, you can leave your username and password fields empty, whereas for AT&T and T-Mobile, you might have to enter a username/password combination. For AT&T, you can try WAP@CINGULARGPS.COM for the username and cingular1 for the password. Try asking your provider for more specifics if these steps don't work. Some carriers also provide their own dial-up applications so you don't have to go through this configuration process.

I remember back with old Sprint phone, it was like this with linux, necessary driver already part of the kernel, so you just had to configure the dialer.  On windows computer you had to download boatload of drivers so XP even could recognize the phone.  I really dont care about tethering windows computer so doesnt matter.  May not have drivers available for modern windows system since this is older phone,  if you can find the drivers at all anymore.  Or I dont know, might already be in win10???

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:54 pm

So anyway thinking now I want to buy a Red Pocket month plan and see if this works.  I am grandfathered in on PureTalkUSA and dont want risk some customer service representative getting confused and losing me the grandfathered plan.  Since it is grandfathered, can no longer buy extra minutes or data as an add on.  

Oh and none of this is easy info to find.  I even bought an old Samsung Eternity II phone for $16 thinking it was Android. Should arrive today.  Its not, its Samsungs' old BADA operating system. Smart phone, yes, but not Android.  Didnt find this out until I had already bought it.  Did find mention on Ubuntu that people did successfully tether to the original Eternity phone, no mention of the Eternity II.  ATT may blocked tethering in phones it sold around this time???  

Once I figured that out, have had my eye on Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro phone, though wanted to try EternityII phone first.  The Rugby Pro definitely Android and rep for being reliable and long lasting.  Its just getting some age, but would run tethering app like Easy Tether or Klink that does end run around greyed out tethering/hotspot setting built into Android.

When I was looking at smart phones, had no idea any 3G dumb phones could tether, just hadnt occurred to me.  And fact I already had one such phone in my possession.....   Live and learn.  And wont know if it really works until I get SIM with a data plan.  Proof is in the pudding as they say. Apparently darn few people tether a dumb phone anymore, or know its possible. Smart phones took over market about time these 3G dumb phones came out and 3G dumb phone just got rep as old man phone or entry level cheapie or freebie for pay as you go. Such folk probably dont tether.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:02 am

Ok, I couldnt buy a Red Pocket plan/kit on their website cause it kept telling me my email address wasnt real.

Bought a month plan/sim on ebay, but they havent sent email with my activation number. I will open a grievance with ebay if they dont. This is not way you get enthusiastic customers.

Got my Samsung Eternity II today. Ok charged it up, looks like a small android phone though its not, its BADA OS. I turned off all the apps, lot ATT apps. Plugged its usb cord into Puppy Linux laptop, and screen pops up on phone whether I want to treat it as mass storage or tether (they called it something else, but what they meant). I chose tether. Then tried Puppy connection wizard. Yep, it seen as external modem and set it up like the Sonim dumb phone using the wvdial.

I ever get the Red Pocket SIM can actually try tethering laptop and see how well it works on both to surf. I have feeling it will work on both, but proof is in the pudding.

Does make me wonder if you can tether an Android phone this way rather than using an app? I suppose you can if settings arent disabled. If its disabled by provider it was originally affiliated with, then going to be disabled for all methods of tethering except one of those apps like Easy Tether or Klink that do an end run around the block.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:52 am

Oh just as point of curiosity, PagePlusCellular offers cheapest way to have phone I have ever seen, meaning without some govt program or subsidy. https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/

Look at their 3G 100minute card. Good for 3 month and $10. So $40 a year for 4 cards, plus first year, you would need to buy their $10 pin/SIM. Anyway even with extra $10 to get set up, its still cheapest.

Now if you want to actually use phone regularly, then maybe FreedomPop $50 a year better deal. Though not sure about the company. Red Pocket has $60 annual plan where you get 100 minutes a month with no rollover. Thats pretty good for emergency phone, though reliability of Red Pocket still in question far as I am concerned. From reviews, some have good luck with it, but some dont. I guess I will find out when I get my SIM.

Mostly though say its going to cost you more like $10 a month minimum. Several places have such. If I needed known reliability, probably go with that PureTalk's current AMAC $10 plan I give link in earlier post. PureTalkUSA in my experience is on the ball and reliable. Now the current AMAC $10 plan I think is just flat 400 minutes a month, no rollover of unused minutes though they dont really say on website and I didnt call to ask. But 400 minutes is more than enough for some of us, though I like my roll over as some months I just dont make any calls, only value for my $10 is that I have phone available.

Ok, update, apparently that link to special $10 PureTalkUSA AMAC only plan has went away. Found this: https://amac.us/puretalkusa/ but its link just goes to signup for AMAC outfit (some sort "conservative" version of AARP) and no more details unless you are AMAC member apparently and can log into their site. So when things start getting hidden like that, usually means they may no longer be available.

Red Pocket has minimalist $60 annual plan as I mentioned, but maybe their $99 annual plan with 500min 500 text messages, and 500MB data per month is better deal for somebody needing minimal phone service on strict budget. Thats much like the disappearing PureTalkUSA AMAConly $10 plan. Better actually, though question of Red Pocket reliability. http://www.ebaystores.com/Red-Pocket-Store look for essentials plan. Giving link to their ebay store as link to auction would disappear when auction expires.

Honestly think lot of low end plans are offered with expectation people will buy them and not actually use them, emergency type thing. Or that they will find them too limiting and upgrade. Its like car dealers used to offer a stripped down version of some popular car in their ads at amazing low price. But at most kept one or two in stock if any at all, fully intending to upsale any customer wanting one to one with lot more bells and whistles. Dont see that nearly as much anymore, now its about lowest per month cost, they dont even try to talk about cash price. Cause no new car has a bargain cash price and there simply are no stripped down models anymore. When new pickup starts at like $30k, they have few expectations people are going to beat down their door with $30k in their wallet. New cars have become credit only purchase for anybody except the 1%'rs.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:41 pm

Tethering success!!!!  I spent most of day trying to get Red Pocket Mobile plan to data connect.  Trying every variation of APN settings I could come up with.  And no info on doing it.  Guess and by golly reasoning/guessing only way on something this old apparently.  Its BADA operating system on the Enternity, apparently mostly forgotten.  Though its very similar to early Android.  Just cant run Android apps.

Thing is I kept trying the mini browsers on the two phones, figuring I needed to get them working before I even bothered trying to tether.  I got settings to where it would say "connecting...." for five minutes before timing out.  Whereas before it would just immediately error out.  So knew it was trying.  I had little 3G symbol at top of screen and 4 bar signal strength.  Finally ready to give up for the day and decided to try tethering the Eternity II since it was one I currently had Red Pocket SIM in.  *99# for phone number in the wvdialer in Puppy Linux and options to check for dial tone and such unchecked.  It connected and using it now to post this.  Its faster 3G connection than my dedicated Straight Talk 3G hotspot, otherwise known as the hockey puck and worse nick name that I wont repeat here.  The hockey puck has been pretty reliable though battery no longer holds a charge and has to remain plugged in all time.  It got its unmentionable nickname back when I originally tried to get it activated.  Believe me, you dont want to deal with Straight Talk customer service if at all possible.  Net10 in contrast has very helpful online customer service people.  Both Tracfone companies so go figure.  Neither will let you tether a phone, only the dedicated hotspots.

Lot cheaper data tethering a phone.  Time will tell.  I still might dump Red Pocket and go with PureTalkUSA as they dont have hard data cutoff, but throttle data speed when you blow through your boughten data.  Throttling really means you get lowest priority if there are others using data.  Both Red Pocket and PureTalk are offically ok with tethering.  They dont encourage it, wont help you do it,  but its ok if you can make it work.  I suppose lot of relaxing around tethering is both from Verizon court case where they lost.  And frankly people are using a lot of data ON THEIR PHONES, like watching movies etc.  So difference between data used tethering and data used via phone is shrinking.

Oh if anybody needs the info, the default PIN1 for Red Pocket SIM is 1111.  The default PIN2 for Red Pocket SIM is 2222.  This info is like pulling teeth from Red Pocket customer service.  I found old post on Howard Forum saying these were defaults back in like 2011.  So figured worth try.  Oh if you guess wrong three times in row, the SIM locks and you need a PUK number to unlock it.  This is tied to the SIM so you would need to extract the info from customer service.  Good luck with that, betting they would force you to buy a replacement SIM for $10.

Here is hoping Eternity lives up to its name.  Its old phone but looks like new.  3G only.  I recommend if anybody wants phone for tethering, might want to get an Android though you can get a 4G Sonim, no where as cheap as 3G XP1520 but not horrible, probably between $50 to $75 for XP5.  I really like that Sonim XP1520 but its just as cantankerous and unsupported to get data working as the Eternity, mostly cause few tether or use such for internet.  I suspect like the Eternity, that XP1520 would tether even without its mini browser functioning.  Both Eternity and Sonim are cheap options, the Sonim with an unusually long lived battery though the Eternity doesnt do bad.  The Androids lot better supported.  Red Pocket said tethering with iPhone doesnt work on their GSMA network.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:01 am

Just mention, been tethered for long period and phone cool as cucumber. I am glad. That Android smart phone I tethered back on Boost Mobile (several years ago) got HOT. Should have circuit to control charging, the Eternity must have such, that old I think LG Android didnt.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:37 pm

Ok, unless something changes, this Red Pocket is a winner. Once set up, absolutely rock solid data connection so far. Odd its same 3G ATT network connection I have with Straight Talk dedicated hotspot, but its FASTER. I am using 3G phone and this does require

1. Turn on phone and computer.
2. Plug in usb cord.
3. Choose tethering option on phone
4. Connect with "dialer" on computer. You arent actually dialing anything, its just interface used with your cell phone as a modem. On Puppy Linux its wvdial, same interface as you would use with dialup.

Yes each and every time I connect.

Now the dedicated hotspots I have been using, you just turn computer and hotspot on, then computer does usual wifi connection. All pretty automatic. But the tethering data is LOT cheaper.

I am currently using (testing) a one month plan with 5GB data and unlimited voice/texts for $30. On ATT network. This combo does what I was doing with the dedicated hotspot which cost $50 for 5GB data and then needed a separate $10 voice only setup. So yea $60 way I was doing it. $30 this way. Kind of a no brainer that if it continues to work well, Red Pocket it is. Red Pocket says in their FAQ that tethering is fine. Their customer support wont help you set it up, but if you can get it set up, they have no objections to tethering. Its your data, use it how you will. When it runs out, its hard cut off, no throttled low speed data. They have NO actual unlimited data plan. There is hard cutoff when you blow through the data. Also no rollover so any data you dont use in a month disappears.

Now I found a 360 day Red Pocket plan on ebay for $300 with unlimited voice and texts, but 10GB data per month. Says this is a sale good through Dec31, no idea if real sale or one that continues on past Dec31. So in effect $25 a month and twice the data. Downside Red Pocket has reputation of not being meticulous on triggering the new 30 day plan automatically at end of current one. Its not really a 360 day plan, its a collection of 12- 30day plans. Each supposed to be triggered automatically at end of previous one. If it doesnt trigger you need online access to chat with the consumer representative. You can phone, but hey you dont have a phone at that point either, and phone customer service can take half a day to get through, the online text chat customer service lot easier and no dealing with heavy accents.

Just saying there can be an inconvenience cost to going super cheap. So ask yourself if you can put up with that inconvenience. Now once you get though to customer service it takes very short amount time for them to trigger your next months service that should have been automagically triggered. They arent trying to cheat you, its just their system of automatic triggering doesnt always work.

Now for minimalists out there, there is 360 day plan with 100 minutes, 100 texts, and 500MB data per month for $60. Yes that is effectively $5 a month!!!! No carry over minutes, but suppose you could then use something like Google Voice/Hangouts to do further voice calls with the 500MB data. And there is a 360 day plan with 500 minutes, 500 texts and 500MB data per month for $99. That is probably more practical since unused minutes dont roll over. I cant think of when I used more than 500 minutes in a month. 500MB is not lot data but enough for emergency or very basic use. Check your email once a day or something like that. You would want to use pop3 email client and put download limit per email so no big photo attachment is downloaded.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:35 am

Time moves forward. PureTalk account is now history. I have a 360day Red Pocket plan. Cost like $279 during Black Friday sale via Ebay. Using it now after I finally finished up the 30 day plan. By way when I burned through the 5GB data with the 30day plan, I was throttled, no hard cutoff.

See how it works out this coming year. The 360day plan works out to $23.25 per 30 days and 10GB full speed data per 30 days. Thats still pretty amazing.

Oh I was looking at minimalist plans some more. H2O offers pay as you go with a $10 90day plan. Any voice calls eat that $10 at rate of 5cents per minute, or 5cents per text, or 10cents per MB data. If however you go to zero balance, then you have 30days to buy more. If however you dont use all your $10, whats left rolls over and added to the next 90day plan. So in other words you can get a years service for $40. Emergency calls only, but still connection to the world at $3.33 per month about as cheap as it gets. The roll over "minutes" is what makes it worthwhile. You build up a pile minutes like I did with the $10 per month PureTalk voice account and it makes it usable. Course you have to time damn thing just right, wouldnt want to lose your roll over minutes or have to buy minutes early.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:48 pm

Just an update, been couple plan transitions. Remember I in actuality bought 12 consecutive monthly plans.  Went super smooth.  So far this Red Pocket 360day deal has been great.  Do kinda wish I had kept my old number.  This phone being on so much for tethering gets lot spam calls.  I just dont answer them unless I recognize the number.  Assume person that previously had this number was on some sucker list or something. But other people are telling me constant spamming on cell phones is common anymore. Do not call lists dont phase them at all. Maybe making the penalty for such 20 year in super max prison with no chance of parole would get their attention. Jeesh. Hey some things in modern world are an improvement, some a definitely a down grade. All spam, all the time and no privacy anytime, definitely a down grade.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down