Stanley loppers

Go down

Stanley loppers

Post by Admin on Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:27 am

Friend of mine loaded up my truck with stuff she didnt want when I went to get the lawn mower I bought from her. One such item was pair of new Stanley loppers. She had bought them and they arrived dull. I was piddling with some of stuff I dragged home, and took apart those loppers to see if they could be sharpened. Did best I could, feathering out the edge like I would a knife. Amazing improvement. She didnt want them back as she had already replaced them with new pair Fiskars.

But got me thinking about pruners. I have pair goat hoof trimmers I bought long ago when I had goats. Like a small pair bypass pruners. I find them, will sharpen them same way. They cut nice over the years but could use a sharpening.

And got to looking at pruners. Apparently if you want decent ones that work out of box, you spend $50 to $60 for pair Felco or ARS. You may or may not get lucky with cheaper versions. Then got to looking at vintage pruners on ebay. They are collectible, who knew.... Wondering how they would sharpen. Tempted by ancient pair PLEXTO. But instead found old pair Craftsman. They were bigger over 9 inch. In good shape except somebody had tried to sharpen them with file or something. Anyway not wanting to hunt up old pruners in my junk, I probably have couple pair dull as dishwater somewhere. I bought the Craftsman for $15 and on the way. At very worst probably could resell them as is for part of my money back. But dont see any reason they wouldnt sharpen and work fine. No more gamble than buying cheap pair of some generic Chinese pruners. Which also probably need sharpening to be useful. And the Chinese ones have no intrinsic value. Modern ones by way seem to have minimal amount metal and lot extra plastic on handles.

I did find an $8 pair of 10" pruners on Amazon. Thats intriguing. Dont see 10 inch pruners very often, they are bit longer than the Craftsman and have 1.7" capacity. Most average/small pruners have capacity of half to three quarter inch.

And the pruners got me in discussion about machetes or what I grew up calling corn knife. I remember as kid the old corn knives were tempered and kept edge pretty well. Until Dad bought new one in late 60s that apparently was just mild steel. He wasnt best pleased. Today I got in discussion with some guy from Panama. He said there machete sold for $5 but were mild steel. That people there bough the $5 machete and a $20 high quality file and just sharpened them ever ten minutes of use. Doesnt make lot sense to me, but suppose if you lose a $5 machete or its stolen, then not big worry. I did find a tempered spring steel machete online, but my gosh that thing was $100. Yea lose that or have it stolen and you will feel bad.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Stanley loppers

Post by Admin on Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:09 am

I found my goat hoof trimmers I use as pruners.  Name on them is Snap-cut #120.  And got that old pair Craftsman pruners I bought on Ebay.  Both sharpened easily.  The Craftsman for sure wont bend or break, and  probably outlast me but they arent the most comfortable pruners to use.  The Snap-cut are comfortable.  Nice to have a renewed edge on them.   And there is a $3.55 pair generic Chinese pruners on their way.  I was curious.  And I found a rusty old pair of Pexto pruners.  I had debated between the Pexto and the Craftsman.  The Pexto looked more comfortable to use.  Both are all metal and vintage.  Finally decided to see what Pexto are like. Ordered an old rusty pair for $11. They open and seller says spring is good. Just have to be taken apart, wire brushed to within inch of their life, then sharpened and reassembled.  

That will be it on pruners I think.  Like say the big Craftsman pair and the Snap-cut small pair pretty much all I need.  Both were easy enough to sharpen.

Unless I run across Mom's pair WISS anvil pruners.  I remember those as a kid, they somehow had lot leverage that even a kid could use them.  Well when they were sharp.

Last edited by Admin on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:07 am

I will get this lopper/pruner fascination worked out sooner than later, hopefully. Did run into lot positive things said about Tabor loppers. So looked at Tabor pruners for $10 on Amazon. Lot positive response on them. If looking for cheap pruners that have good chance working well without first properly re-sharpening them, this might be them.

Lot negative comments on current crop of Corona and Fiskar low end pruners now made in China. these brands maybe have lost their focus. This from very brand loyal users of the old American made versions. Rule of thumb, if you can resharpen the cutting edge better than factory, then cheap pruners maybe ok and brand probably doesnt matter that much, otherwise you are wasting your money. Just as well buy the Felco or ARS pruners and be done with it. Five pair of the cheapies and you have quality pair Felco or ARS paid for.

You also have no guarantee whether even a sharp pair pruners will be comfortable to use without actually using them. I took Craftsman out today. Quite sharp at this point, but it was painful to try and use them to cut anything bigger than 3/8 inch. This from a nearly ten inch pair pruners. Just bad ergonomics. They are really sharp, can cleanly cut single blade grass, twigs, whatever, long as its small.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:06 pm

Got my new Chinese $3.55 bypass pruners I won in auction off ebay.  Wow what a surprise, they are lot more substantial than I expected.  I figured some cheap weenie pruners made from brittle metal.  These were even sharp enough to cut.  And more comfortable to use than the Craftsman....  Though will say I gingerly moved my thumb over the cutting edge.  My thumb was in no danger....  So yea they could be improved with a sharpening.  Still amazing value for the money.  All cast forged metal except couple minimalist rubber sleeves on handles.   I looked and this pruner is buy it now for $6.  Can get them on Amazon for $9.  

No cheap pruner comes well sharpened, its like buying a cheap knife.  But if you can sharpen them properly, they will do ok.  Just stay away from any with bunch plastic.

Now I kept wondering about anvil pruners.  They have their uses especially cutting dead wood.  Mom had a pair of WISS.   The other old American manufacturer was Seymour-Smith.  Both were fairly cheap, everything but the blade and anvil was stamped steel.  When blade is sharp, this is ok.  When blade gets dull and somebody with some hand strength tries to force it, the stamped steel bends and the blade is no longer in alignment.  Well Corona and Fiskars sell pretty much clone of the old WISS only with some rubber grips on handles.  But made in China and apparently sharpening the blade prior to shipping not a big concern  in the factory.  I saw a Corona AP3110 used on ebay.  Hadnt been sprung yet. Kinda tempted at $9 but rather give half that if I have to sharpen it.  

Meh, dont need it.  May even have remains of mom's old WISS around somewhere.  Though think I either tried sharpening it back before I knew what I was doing or I sprung blade forcing it.  But was looking.  If you really want a good anvil pruner, can get a Felco F-31 for $40 if you check around, $50 to $60 if you dont.  Thats one time its worth parting with money, that thing puts the cheaper anvil pruners to absolute shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gf-5HaiLA4

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down