Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running as ROOT

Go down

Running as ROOT  Empty Running as ROOT

Post by Admin Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:51 am

Puppy Linux this is by default. Its a small distribution with philosophy that its mostly going to run on older computer with only one user ever. You can run as user "Spot" but thats more for software that anymore demands to be only run as a user, and not ROOT.

UBUNTU on other hand has exact opposite philosophy. Its a "mother may I?" type system that doesnt care if you are only user, its going to force you to ask permission to do anything. SUDO SU my ass. But it gives no way to just log in as ROOT.

Of course its still LINUX so always a work around. Found this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/369012/how-to-run-a-complete-gui-as-root

I did log in as root, but didnt extensively test how far I could go like this. It did throw up an error before going to root desktop, I assume one last "Well if you arent going to listen to your mother...." kinda thing. But its doable even if UBUNTU people dont want accept some of us are wearing our big boy pants and willing to accept some risk sometimes. We dont all want the big brother windows experience.

Sometimes I think Ubuntu wants to try and be the linux version of windows. Do I need mention they put an Amazon link icon on the desktop?!!!! Suppose they made some money from that deal. And there is a page of links to social media accounts they assume you will have. I didnt look farther on how to remove that. Being the windows of the linux world, suppose they didnt make removal easy. On other hand will say Cosmic Cuttlefish does run pretty well considering it has bloated GNOME desktop and all. And its no doubt the best supported linux workstation out there.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum