Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite used knives

Go down

Favorite used knives Empty Favorite used knives

Post by Admin Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:59 pm

Time is passing since I got into knife sharpening and have collected/used various cheap used knives. So far for big knife my favorite has become one I already owned though never sharp until recently. Its Aldi Kitchen Living 7 inch "forged" santoku. That thing is really sharp and is staying sharp though at this point it gets most use. Noticably harder metal than most cheap knives. There are several other brands of similar knives, though the Aldi was cheapest. Bought set of them for like $7 few years back. I remember it as set of four, but only found three so far. Maybe it was set of three. Saw where last time Aldi sold them was like Feb 2013 and that was set of three for $10. Anyway lot of brands with similar knife, my guess good many of them come from same factory in China. The Aldi version is cheapest I have seen, though as I say they come out of package pretty dull.

Second favorite is the vintage USA made Chicago Cutlery 8 inch French chef's knife. It came off ebay for $7 shipped. Arrived sharpened by somebody that knew how to sharpen a knife. I dont think its edge will hold up as well as the Aldi santoku, but does well for a mid-level knife and easy to sharpen. Edge is lot nicer than the Dollar TRee chef's knife I commented on earlier. As I mentioned in that review, just about any knife with any tempering at all will take a usable edge. Those made of softer or cheaper steels tend to need lot more maintenance and touch ups to stay sharp.

As to paring knives, two favorites, the USA Chicago Cutlery 102S, looks like a short fillet knife. And a very old Dexter carbon steel knife, blade sort of resembles that of an old carbon steel pocket knife though in sheepsfoot style. But not far behind is a relatively modern DMF hawks beak paring knife I got for 99cents. And now two "Pioneer Seed" advertising paring knives made by Quickut. They came in cheap assortment of used knives. They were abused but sharpened fairly easily on the sander. I knew I would like them, Mom had couple of them when I was kid. They held their very sharp edge a ridiculously long time for a freebie knife. But back then we couldnt figure a way to restore edge when they did get dull, so they got tossed. I have others that are perfectly fine paring knives, but I like the narrow thin blade paring knives best. The modern Dexter sani-safe paring knife deserves an honorable mention, has comfortable handle, but the blade just isnt as nicely configured as the ones mentioned above. I also have a Victorinox plastic handle paring knife. Blade much like the Dexter, little more flexible, but the handle is horrible. If it were my only paring knife, I would remove the horribly configured plastic handle and make a wood one for it that fit my hand and gave me more control.

There are some other intermediate size knives, but really as one person said, "for most cooking uses you need one big knife and one little knife", thats all. Everything else is a specialty knife that may or may not be particularly useful depending.....

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Favorite used knives Empty Re: Favorite used knives

Post by Admin Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:23 am

Time passes... LOL So what knives am I using now.

Actually what I mostly use to chop veggies is 1950s cheap cleaver that says Utica, NY on it. Its carbon steel, not stainless. Takes a very nice edge, sure I have sharper edge on it than it ever had in previous decades. Had to smooth out top edge where some previous owners had pounded on it with a hammer to make it go through bone or something.

For paring knife tend to use this old Pioneer Seed paring knife given away as premium to farmers buying Pioneer seeds. I mentioned finding couple them in above post. When not using the Pioneer, I have a dollar store China knife that handle broke apart first time I tried to use it and I made new handle out of bit oak branch I found in back yard, sanded the oak smooth in shape that fit my hand. Really comfortable to use, but this was a $1 knife, so blade quality not super great. Homemade handle makes it really comfortable to hold though. And an old Tramontina paring knife, got for $1 back in 90s at some True Value "Dollar Daze" sale. It really takes nice edge. Copy of the old American made Chicago cutlery knives I think, had same feel, both using it and sharpening it.

Oh and still use that medium utility knife from Aldi got over decade ago. They came dull. But they take and keep a really keen edge. Never know who made them, but they got the metal right compromise and handles are comfortable. Think I got the set of three knives for like $7.

I dont use it that much cause I prefer the cleaver as knife, but have a Thomas Rosenthal 8 inch French chef knife. It was cheap, but it is really well balanced and keeps edge well.

Again my suggestion, dont buy $1 knife at dollar store. Think of all the sticky fingers that are making bit profit on it and how cheap the factory had to produce it to allow for all those middlemen profits yet still sell it for $1. If desperate they can be used, you can sharpen them but it seems more difficult than something like $10 Walmart knife. And once sharpened it wont hold the edge near as well. Ten dollar and up new knives or if you want true bargin go to thrift store and buy anyting made in USA, Japan, Europe, or Taiwan. Sharpen it to your standards. All these places made crap too, but most of that tends to go to landfill long before it makes it to thrift store. Some of chinese stuff is really bad, some of it pretty good, luck of draw. You mess with enough knives and you will get a feel for whether a knife is worth the bother or not.

Put it this way, learn to sharpen a knife properly (lots youtube videos) and you truly dont need to spend much. Anything can be sharpened, but real trick is how it feels to use. I have quite a collection of junk knives I have practiced on. But mostly use the ones I mentioned.

Like say though, there are few out there that are just a pain in the ass to sharpen. You run into one of those, just toss it, most likely didnt cost much anyway. It shouldnt take long to find cheap one that will sharpen well and hold edge reasonably well. DONT expect cheap knives to be very sharp new of the package. They arent, but dont just assume they are crap either. Sharpen it properly to find out its true potential. People selling cheap knives arent going to hire somebody to give it a professional edge at factory, they just want it to look pretty in the package. Impulse purchase. They just want it to be sharp enough customer isnt going to complain for couple weeks or so, too long to return it for refund....

And if you want to impress your friends go ahead and get some super hard exotic knife if you can afford it. Unless you use it daily for hours at a time, not really worth the money far as economics. Most restaurants dont buy high end knives for their food preppers, they just buy cheapest commercial duty knives with plastic sanitary handle. Then they keep them sharp. Sharp and comfortable to hold, is what you need for food prep, not super exotic high tech.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:36 am

Oh will mention when my old refrigerator went to appliance heaven, when hauling it out of house old butcher knife from my first marriage fell out of evaporation pan underneath fridge. How it got in there....

I remember when that was the only knife my then wife and I used and I fought with that thing trying to sharpen it. I get it functional but not truly sharp. So of course had to take up the challenge. Pretty anti climactic, its carbon steel, not stainless so pretty simple to put a razor edge on it with the belt sander. So I finally won the battle. Seriously everybody should know how to properly sharpen a knife. One of those life skills that pays dividends over and over.

Carbon steel knives take a really nice edge, even the cheap ones. But they are getting kinda rare and prices are up on them on ebay. Most people probably never get chance to use one. They RUST so you wash by hand and then oil with either veggie oil or edible mineral oil. Best ones were those chromed ones made when stainless steel was expensive in 1950s. The chrome if done well in essence helped prevent rust, though the sharp edge exposed steel so that would rust. Like everything else there is good and bad. Seen some with chrome peeling which is not good.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:03 am

Guess I am kinda into the knife thing again. Was looking at my magnetic strip of knives and used what I was thinking was rosewood handle Tramontina paring knife. Nice, but happened to look on blade and its a USA Chicago Cutlery 102s. They are made in China now and not so nice from reviews I read (cheapened them), though you can still buy one that looks like vintage USA one, just that quality is gone.

You can also still buy new Rosewood handle Tramontina, that looks much like that $1 one from 90s I mentioned. Its now $8.02 plus tax on ebay. No idea if its same quality though still made in Brazil, not China. Its model C-280/03 and looks more like the old Chicago 100s paring knife. I like the 102s style better, but either is fine. The old Chicago Cutlery USA knives now bring big premium. The 102s and 100s go from like $6 for one in pretty sad shape that somebody insisted on putting into dishwasher until handle is poor shape and they obviously were clueless on how to sharpen a knife. They go up from there past $20. Maybe a tie on whether the USA made 102s or that Pioneer(Quikut) promotional paring knife is best. And on the Pioneer/Quikut, I mean the older ones with the double bevel, not the later single bevel ones. though of course you can reshape the edge to make it double bevel. I did that on one chinese imitation of the Quikut, and it was greatly improved, but it was even bit smaller and handle cheaper than the Quikut. Took some time too. I was mostly just curious if I could do it.

Are there other good paring knives, of course, but those are my favorites. I dont like the modern spear shape paring knives with plastic handles. And I like a narrow thin blade paring knife. I have a no name one that has realtor silk screened on it, some promotional gift. Gave 25cents for it. Hey its ok, narrow thin blade, wood handle, and quite sharp but its just not the same comfort using it.

Oh I had forgotten, must put it in storage, I got a small serrated bread knife some thrift store, cut it short, reshaping blade somewhat, and did new regular knife edge on it. It was fairly good quality metal unlike some bread knives or serrated knives. For some reason I really liked it, think it was the nice wood handle on it, fit my hand well. Just didnt use it that often. Actually other than cutting up raw fruit, dont use any paring knife that much. Tend to use the old cleaver for most cutting. If I could only have one kitchen knife, it would be that old plain carbon steel Utica cleaver.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:05 pm

Bought what was sold as 4 used unbranded knives for $5 shipped on ebay. Well got them and one was a CASE and one was a Henckel Twin. Another was an older plain carbon steel fillet knife, didnt see a name, and other was an Imperial Stainless "Granny paring knife" from 60s and 70s. All sharpened easily with very sharp edge. The Henckel was interesting, never had one of those since they are insane price for a twin made in Germany, the cheap ones are usually their International line, used to be made in Spain, but now China I think.

The Henckel , put new point on it, old one broken off, and sharpened it. Truly is a nice knife. Not a $30 knife no matter new pricing. Stamped steel so its an older one. The Imperial granny interestingly came darn close, took very sharp edge. I vaguely remember these sold everywhere, grocery stores, discount stores, etc. I would guess it came kinda dull and nobody ever sharpened them much. Too bad, the steel is hard and took a good edge. But hey back in day stainless new thing in 60s and people didnt have luck sharpening them with tools they used on older carbon steel knives. So they were treated as disposable. You really need harder stone or aluminum oxide grit to sharpen stainless.

Anyway I was curious if any other Henckel Twin knives on ebay cheap and bid on another paring knife this one a "forged" twin, much like current ones. It would cost me $9 shipped if I won it but thinking little chance of that. Of course I won it. Got it today. Ok looking, but very dull and most of branding faded, you have to turn it just so to see the twin stick figures and Henckel brand info. That probably scared off other bidders, cause there are lot cheap clones. I just got tiny hint of the twin stick figures in one pic in auction, really hard to see. I sharpened it, again these seem to sharpen very easily. And it took same very sharp edge. I am impressed. Definitely worth the $9. Still dont think they are worth $30+ that they sell new. But value is in eye of the beholder. Oh apparently these use X50CrMoV15 steel. Good if tempered well. A cheaper knife ZYLISS Control uses same metal and you get package two new paring knives for around $16. Reviews say they are very sharp but also several having problems with handle breaking at end of the half tang they use. Me, just clean off the old handle material, even the bolster since it comes with curved end to make it look fancier. Then epoxy on a piece oak branch and sand it into shape I want. I guess plastic handles popular cause people insist foolishly putting sharp knives in dishwasher, though that is not only hard on handles, but tends to dull sharp edges. Sure thats why branding so faded on this Henckel.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:07 pm

Oh, bought a used Wusthof classic paring knife with bent tip (wanted to play a bit with a Wusthof) and a Lion Sabatier chef knife with buggered tip. Both sharpened easily and cut very nicely. The Lion Sabatier (image leaping lion on blade) same quality as the Wusthof Classic and the Four Star Twins Henckels. Sabatier name was from before trademark registration. So bunch companies use it in and out of France. Some of the knives are top notch, some are trash, especially the ones out of east Asia. Henckels and Wusthof cash in on their brand name reputation too, making some cheap lines.

No idea why anybody would abuse and toss such knives after paying high prices, but suppose most that buy expensive cutlery do so to impress people. When it gets faded in dishwasher and old looking, they discard it. I mean seriously most used knives I have run across have most of their usable life left. Some are damaged through over use of a steel or use of an aggressive electric sharpener. Only seen few old butcher knives probably used daily and sharpened constantly during that use, were worn down to basically the spine.

Oh dont know if I mentioned got a super cheap 12" Cattaraugus Vanadium Steel Carving knife, the kind with the fake stag horn handle meant for use at table to "carve the turkey" and impress the family. Old one, made of plain carbon steel that had added vanadium. No rust, just heavy patina. Little tougher to sharpen than just plain carbon steel, but betting that thing holds its edge forever if not abused. When I got it, completely blunt?? Guessing it had never been sharpened. When I bought it for $5, was thinking cutting it in two and making couple short utility knives since I dont have lot use for long carving knife. But seems such a shame after finding out how nice the steel is. No hurry, not like I am running short on kitchen knives.

Quite a fun hobby, in few minutes sharpening, you turn a cheap discard into something quite nice and useful. Have to watch out what you are buying, lot trash knives out there.

Suppose I should resell bunch of them, just keep my favorites.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:42 am

Surely I will get over this second knife fascination soon...  I found a Henckels twin 5star chef knife and was watching it on ebay when I got an offer too good to ignore.  In good shape (probably dull but not abused) for shipped price of $25.  5star is same blade as 4star, just has a modernistic handle.  I was curious.  This is like $100 knife new.

Oh also just found a chinese knockoff of German chef knife.  Has full bolster, etc.  Anyway $6 shipped on ebay and they claim its same steel the German knives use hardened to "58".  Called Steinbrucke or something like that.  Read some reviews on Amazon for it, they want $15 to $25 there depending who you buy it from.  Anyway reviews mostly positive.  Some were honest and said you really need to sharpen it new out of box for best effect, but it does hold its edge pretty well.  

Frankly I would be surprised if any knife ever did arrive truly sharp.  But for $6 shipped (seriously), figured it would be interesting comparison to the Lion Sabatier and the Henckels twin 5star. People on Amazon really overpaying.  I really do like that Lion Sabatier chef knife.  As well as the Henckels twin 4star paring knife and the Wusthof Classic paring knife.  Very nice balance and all, but really amazing people give the kind of money they sell for new.  Yea if you know how to sharpen knives, they are well worth any price under say $15 used.  But I know that Wusthof they want like $50 new for it on Amazon.  Seriously? $50 for a paring knife?  Its really nice, but not that nice unless $50 is chump change to you.  

And thats whole point I guess, they are selling it to rich people as a luxury item to impress their rich friends.  Has nothing to do with cost of design and manufacture or actual productive value.  Its money extraction marketing.  But again it is very nice knife when sharp.  Somebody at some point did some very nice engineering on it.  I can come close on just about any high carbon knife far as sharpness, but not the balance and feel of it.  Same way that Lion Sabatier beats my old Rosenthal chef knife, though the Rosenthal is pretty good itself.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:52 pm

Ok, got the Henckels International Spanish made utility knife. I had to do bit of a bolsterectomy to even out the blade, and then resharpened it to my standards though it was sorta sharp as it came.

I wanted to like it. The metal is hard enough, but its different feel sharpening it than the German made Henckels paring knives. Its also an older knife, so though similar to current International utility knife, its not quite.

I cut up an onion. It didnt have control that many other knifes have, though it sliced and diced it ok. Then cut a carrot and it did very well with that. Same with piece apple. Its way too big to use as a paring knife, but I tried it that way and it peeled apple quite nicely. So???? Sure if like me you can get one that still looks nice, in your hands for less than total of $10, and really want one, go for it. But kinda money they want for new one, nope, no way. Plus seems kinda luck of draw if you get Spanish one. Seems newer ones from China and Thailand too.

Honest that recently played with vintage Ekco Flint Arrowhead had a sharper feel with more control. So did the vintage USA Chicago Cutlery knives.

Tomorrow supposed to get the Henckels Twin 5star chef knife. That should be interesting. Its big German made Henckels.

And that China knockoff $6 knife next week. I wonder if it will feel bit clumsy like this Spanish Henckels. Really interesting how if something is bit off, knife doesnt have good feel, even if sharp. I will always first reach for a knife that I know has good feel to it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:53 pm

Ok, got the used Henckels Twin 5star chef knife. The handle is ugly but comfortable. Came sorta sharp, but I wanted it to my standards to test it. Its impressive. Very big heavy knife, heavier than I expected, so not as much finesse possible as with the Lion Sabatier chef knife. This was more like the cleaver version of a chef knife though in traditional European chef knife form. Easily passed the onion test. Well worth the $25 I gave. It came in nice condition other than sharpness. Nobody banging on it with a steel or putting it in hungry electric sharpener. Still think anybody would be crazy to give more than $50 for it brand new, but each to their own. It is a very nice knife and if taken care of, would last a lifetime if you dont grind away its life on electric sharpener or some pull through gadget sharpener.

Now be interesting to see what that $6 China knockoff is like. If its the quality steel they claim (doubting that), have feeling it will be more like Henckels International knife and more like the far east Henckels International rather than the Spanish Henckles. At $6 one knows right off bat its not going to come well sharpened even though its new. Unless they have some very impressive automated sharpening machine, it would simply cost too much for labor to properly hand sharpen it.

Always confusing why the knife tests they seem to put such importance on initial factory sharpness. Wouldnt it be better to sharpen them to same standard then test them? How they cut with a good edge and how long that edge lasts with proper use, would seem more important than how well a machine in factory sharpened them.

With knowledge I have now... As much as I like this Henckels, think I would choose combo of the Sabatier and my old Utica Super Edge cleaver over it. The Lion Sabatier truly impressed me. The old cleaver has impressed me for couple years now. If I could only have one large knife, might pick the old cleaver, sure lot more bang for the buck though took lot work to reverse abuse it took over the years.

Is kinda cool to get to try more upscale knives on the cheap, cause the cheap gene in me means I would never pay anywhere near new price for one. Usually used prices are too much. Usually have to find one with some damage other people dont want to deal with to get price down to what I consider reasonable.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:57 pm

Nasty weather day, but got my Steinbrucke imitation German chef knife (brand new off Ebay for $6).  Havent tried cutting anything with it, but it amazingly came sharp enough to cut.  I will see if it cut paper, then probably resharpen it to my standards.

First impressions though, its a bargain at $6, if you want a heavy cheap German style chef knife.  Big humongous bolster just like the German knives.  So endless struggles pruning that thing when you sharpen it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:37 pm

I got one more used Henckels Twin 4star paring knife. I really like the German made forged ones both Henckels and Wusthof. So when I see good deal on used one..., cause I aint giving $60 for a paring knife. I seriously dont see it worth over $15 max.

This one was a four inch one, but somebody had ground away enough of it that blade was significantly narrowed. Dull as can be. So I go to sharpen it. For whatever reason that narrow pointy tip kept catching on sanding belt. Ok after it finally bent the tip, I said enough of this. I dont need long flexible pointy paring knife. I chopped off about an inch and its now a 3 inch sheeps foot. No more problem sharpening it and its lot more like what I think a paring knife should be. Something that doesnt look too dangerous and unwieldy to peel an apple... I never figured the point (its a pun son) of a long flexible super pointy paring knife. If you need a knife longer than 3 inch, then get a 6 inch utility/boning/filet knife with thicker blade or learn how to do what you want with chefs knife. My notion of a paring knife is to do small delicate tasks like peeling fruit or veggie and not removing half the flesh of the fruit/veggie in the process. Its not a replacement for a ten inch chefs knife. But it should have lot more finesse for some small fiddly work.

Anyway I really rather like it as 3 inch sheeps foot with narrower than normal blade.

I do see imitations of the German paring knives, claiming same or similar metal, though made in China. But they tend to want as much for them as you can find a used German Henckels or Wusthof. The used German ones just tend to look like they have spent lot time in dishwasher and somebody wasnt too careful in how they treated them. So you want a German knife that looks like its had few years use under its bolster or you buy a new wannabe clone. Or you pay through nose for a new German knife.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:34 pm

Apparently in 50s and 60s, Ekco bought Trumpet Sabatier name or factory or whatever. Anyway they offered some high end European style cutlery. I got one of the paring knives from such in pristine condition for like $8. Sharpened it and would say its the equal of the German stuff or other higher end Sabatiers.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:15 pm

Revisted the knife thing posting on some forum thread. Got into discussion of bargain knives. Most people are completely brainwashed to either consider a knife disposable once it gets dull or that you need high end knife. I cringe thinking how many good knives end up in the landfill, just for want of some care. Course lot of knives that just flat out should never been made in first place.

Just about any non-stainless carbon steel knife will take great edge and if treated nicely (only let edge touch food or hardwood cutting board) will keep it long as any high end knife. Downside you need to immediately clean and re-oil it after use. They rust easily. Profile does count, some are just fat pigs.

Of the cheap stainless, the old USA Chicago Cutlery pretty good, so is the old Flint Arrowhead, both stainless and the chromed carbon version, both the Ekco and the independent version of Flint Arrowhead (only USA). Some of the Tramontina (BRAZIL) are quite nice, usually ones with the Rosewood handles. And Washington Forge "Towncraft" made in Brazil. They sharpen well and keep edge. Wouldnt be surprised if they were actually made by Tramontina. There are also some old USA Imperial knives that are good. And of course the CASE and Craftsman. Sure there are others. But so, so much crap. Some of it can be sharpened but the harder it is to sharpen a knife, usually the lower the quality.

There are some Chinese knives that are ok, but Chinese have developed a talent for putting lipstick on a pig far as knives go, so watch out, it maybe ok or maybe hard to sharpen and hard to use. Pretty but then pretty is as pretty does.

Oh when I was posting on that other forum, I agreed the Henckels Twin four star and five star are nice knives. I find myself reaching for the Henckels four star paring knife often. But honestly I have a paring knife made from a shortened Ekco Flint Arrowhead breadknife. I ground off the serrations and shortened the blade so its a sheepsfoot end on it. Then resharpened it like a normal knife. Surprisingly they didnt cheap out on the steel in their breadknife. Its just right handle to be comfortable as a paring knife, many have a too small handle for my hand. But will say its kinda of a toss up whether I prefer the Flint Arrowhead or the Henckels. The Flint is stamped steel and Henckles forged, but both are stiff and correct thickness/profile to be pleasant. Both are weight I prefer. Notice I am not commenting on an actual Flint Arrowhead paring knife. Those oddly go for more than the bigger Flint Arrowhead knives and have a too small handle for my liking. Also talking stainless. I have an old set of the chromed carbon steel Flint Arrowhead knives. The bigger ones are nice. The paring knife is mediocre, too light weight and too small of a handle. If I am wanting a light weight flexible paring knife, then that old Pioneer Seed knife is great that I mentioned in earlier post, very flexible blade and very sharp, great for peeling. Unfortunately the later versions with bevel only on one side are not nearly as nice. You can sharpen them, but still not as comfortable to use. I personally think the steel they used also cheapened.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:26 pm

Ran across an 8in Washington Forge Yorktowne chef knif, its a tall one, about half height of Chinese vegetable cleaver. Sharpened it and its become my daily driver. Sure never expected it to take an edge like it did 440C steel? Says it has mirilium in the steel whatever that is. assume its like some old American knives bragging about vanadium in their steel. Only the Washington Forge Yorktowne knives brag about mirilium. Its from 1970s era the first made in Japan then Brazil, finally Taiwan. They were sold cheap and didnt come properly sharpened from factory. Apparently sold to people kinda clueless on sharpening knives. Many for sale look like factory edge on them. Think few ever did try to sharpen them beyond maybe using a steel on them or running through an electric sharpener. Never see sharp edge in photos though some have scratches on side from a steel or electric sharpener. Yet to see one mentioning being sharp, though some sellers bumping prices to try and take advantage of popularity of higher end Japanese knives, always show closeup of "Made In Japan" on blade.

I am guessing by their looks came from same factory as the Carver Hall knives and the Old Homestead knives. Though these other brands didnt mention mirilium but blades look nearly identical. Some other clones with lesser known names. The Old Homestead were most common and easy to find in thrift stores. The wood handles look pretty cheap so suppose most people go on looks and avoid them. Definitely better quality than Japanese Maxam knives (Maxam made their knives look pretty but used cheaper steel). The Maxam knives had distinctive handle design with bit of polished tang sticking out the top of the scales. It was an intentional design thing. I personally think it made them uncomfortable to hold.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:26 pm

Have to eat my words. I sharpened that Maxam chef knife with the zirconium belt , which does lot better on the 420 steels than the aluminum oxide belt. Its 9in blade. Anyway, its well balanced and easy to chop on cutting board. Interestingly that el crappo Chinese "Laser" chef knife was similarly balanced. And the zirconium belt got it sharp too. Doubt the edge on the Laser will last very long, but who knows. I probably wont ever use it enough to find out. Oh and even the $1 Dollar Tree knives I got long ago to practice sharpening on Royal Norfolk or some such name. Anyway the zirconium actually got them sharp enough to cut paper. I tried and tried when I was teaching myself sharpening and best I could do is sharp enough, sure not sharp enough to cut sheet paper. And while they are that sharp, they arent bad to use, they dont seem like such light weight pieces of crap. Again from past experience, seriously doubt they hold an edge for very long. But if they were all I had, just plant the belt sander on the counter and sharpen them as needed. It really is trivial with newish zirconia belt.

The Maxams I dont know. They have very nice fit and finish and are heavy and hollow ground blade, real hollow ground, not just a shaped blade. Whats weird, these are all over ebay for cheap, but none of them look like anybody used them beyond maybe blunting factory edge a bit, none looked like anybody tried to sharpen them. Some down right still shiney and pristine in their presentation box.

I had bookmarked one auction with set three, a chef, a slicer, and a paring knife. Seller offered all three for shipped price $10. Got them today. Ok I was having trouble making them really sharp, oh improved, but not paper cutting sharp. The zirconium belt looked ok but figured it could worn down. Put on new 40grit zirconium belt. BINGO. That took off enough metal to make them really sharp. Smoothed them out with like 1000 grit, its an older very worn belt so maybe even finer than that anymore. Quite a nice edge.

So learned that if one is needing to remove significant metal, especially when its 420 steel, a fresh zirconium belt helps a lot. That 420 steel tends to be rust resistant, and its cheap for manufacturer, but it is one of most difficult steels to get a really sharp edge. I strongly suggest either zirconium or diamond to sharpen them with. And check carefully for any bent wire edge, burr doesnt tend to let go easily, just bend it over. A very light touch and the belt will remove it though. I am sure one could go further with strop and jewelers rouge, but for a kitchen knife that is sharp enough to cut paper, not going to worry. Time will tell how long the edge I put on it will last.

Oh also got an offer on a Henckels International Spanish 6in chefs knife for $14. The older Spanish Henckles Classic were very good, just not as nice of an edge as the German ones from factory, but you can hone them. However the reviews on Amazon saying some now made in China. The fit and finish on all the Classic not great, metal cheaper. Henckels just flat out cut quality in name of profit. Complaints of sharp edges on top of blade and at the squared off bolster at top of knife.

The one I just bought supposed to be sharp, but looks like they ran it through cheap electric sharpener, blade is very scratched up and they didnt grind down the full bolster so looks like it has a flat spot towards the heel of knife. Different people seem to have different standards of what is sharp. So be interesting. See if I can repair it and make it pleasant. I was mostly curious what a forged six inch chef knife is like. I tend to like weight of longer chef knife, but the Henckles classic is traditionally a heavy knife. I have a Spanish Henckles classic utility knife. Its fine, from sharpening it, obvious different than metal in German Henckels but keeps an edge fine and has plenty heft. Thing is, its an OLD one. See if new and improved means lighter and lousy as reviews suggest.

Honestly if Henckels cheapens the Spanish Classic, then only be their high end German knives worth buying. Their cheaper lines are pretty much cheap generic Chinese with Henckel name put on it. I wouldnt pay anymore for a Chinese Henckel than I would any other rebranded Chinese knife.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:03 am

Oh got a deal on an old Wusthof Classic chef knife ($25 shipped) from before they even put the Wusthof name on it. Just says Trident Dreizack with the Wusthof trident symbol. Sharpened it. Its a heavy knife. Maybe almost too thick of a blade. But it bulls its way through anything I threw at it. A new Wusthof Classic be like $200. Its not a cheap knife. Though new ones obviously overpriced for what it is.

Also tried a $14 Chinese made chef knife. One of those low end faux forged ones. But my theory that geometry makes huge difference probably applies here. It had full flat grind type profile and distal taper. Came amazingly sharp new out of the package at that price point. Though it could done with bit more polishing of the edge. I resharpened it as comparison and stropped it. Only marginally better than original factory edge, which was actually pretty good. No problem with horizontal cuts when dicing onions, blade glided through the cuts. Thinner blade than the Wusthof and if anything did better chopping up the onion. And cut the big diameter carrot with no cracking sounds. Did really well. No idea of course how long it will stay sharp. As much as I dont want to praise low end Chinese knives, it was ok. If no structural flaws and if treated nicely probably last good long while. Unless $200 is trivial pocket money for you, say the $14 Chinese knife lot more bang for the buck. Say that and of course it could quickly dull or even break. Seen pics of some of the Chinese knives falling off table or something and breaking into two pieces. No doubt less quality control. Hey its a $14 knife. $14 is pretty trivial in modern world.

Now at $25 the used Wusthof is probably more bang for the buck. I imagine its a knife for a lifetime. Except for being dull, it was in fairly good shape. Only flaw the wood on the handle had shrunken back from the metal a bit so the spine bit proud of the wood, same on the bottom of handle.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down