Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Klockit company still around

Go down

Klockit company still around Empty Klockit company still around

Post by Admin Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:11 pm

Huh, Klockit is still in business. Guess I thought they werent cause I remember their paper catalog from long ago. New movement is around $9 shipped. https://www.amazon.com/Quartex-Quartz-Movement-Maximum-Thickness/dp/B005LI5IR6/

They come with some choices in hands and shaft length/diameter. More choice on Klockit website or on ebay. Search for Quartex movement. Anyway this is lot more money than the Chinese movements but lot higher quality I think. Those two I bought half price missing hands seem to keep perfect time.

Noticed on ebay you can also get USA Takane and Seiko movements. So guessing these are also higher quality movements. So just figure you will have to pay at least $9 for a movement that works.

I am mentioning this cause I picked up couple off ebay minus their hands. Used one and keeps perfect time. Clock I picked is old plastic wonder. The second hand broke when I removed it. The hour hand fit the Klockit movement fine, needed tiny bit paper towel to shim the minute hand.

Anyway will say if you need to get an old clock working, buy a high quality kit. I think the Quartex movement is made in China but made to higher standards. As friend of mine said, its hard to find a good cheap clock anymore. They apparently dont even make or sell the old 110V wall clocks with cord you plugged in. You can get a 110V wall clock but its a battery clock with an adapter. Dont pay extra for such stuff. You can get the little adapter off ebay for $3 or $4. I use one along with a digital pocket radio substituting for table radio. It has no native way to use wall wart. This one plugs into usb. Plug computer speakers into the headset jack as it has no built in speaker. Good little radio though. But not buying batteries for it.

Oh and been playing with xscreensaver in linux. There are various ways to make it show current time and date/year if you want. You find a cheap netbook/cloudbook, install small version linux and xscreensaver and Bobs your uncle and substitute clock. Used laptops are going for crazy prices with chip shortage. Even old fairly unusable ones for some reason. I mean yea you can run a word processor program or solitaire or something, but... Anyway before the pandemic, these sold in working condition for $15 to $20. Want to reseat the processor heatsink, make sure any fan works and is quiet thought the fanless ones be preferable. Just saying marginal computer like this can be cheaper than reasonable clock, probably last longer too.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Klockit company still around Empty Re: Klockit company still around

Post by Admin Sat May 29, 2021 9:16 pm

Just an update. Both the clock I put the Klockit movement and the one I put the "silent" Chinese movement in are keeping excellent time. So you pays your money and you takes your chances. Way it is with lot noname Chinese stuff. Some is pretty good, some is pretty bad. Not like consumer has much choice. Most consumer stuff sold in USA is China or Mexico or some SE Asian. Still some diehards out there insisting there is USA made stuff. Very little unless you buy antiques. Dont even find much USA in thrift stores anymore.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum