Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Been looking at wheel hoes online

Go down

Been looking at wheel hoes online Empty Been looking at wheel hoes online

Post by Admin Mon May 31, 2021 3:21 am

Dont know how I got to looking at push kind of wheel hoes.  The copies of the old Planet Jr.  probably the best.  I know I used one of those big wheel ones and that is an implement of torture.  The physics of it are all wrong.  You want to push the implement, not the wheel.  

Anyway watched some youtubes of homemade ones.  The Russians like to use the front steering fork from bicycle with extended handle and couple mounting plates welded to the fork.  Some Italian guy made one turning adult bicycle upside down and mounting hoe where the seat fit.  Dont think he got best physics that way, but his soil also decent so any work in good soil.

I was wandering around and found remains of a childs bike in scrap pile.  I had bought it for the wheels long ago.  Anyway I think the small frame with back end facing front and the bottom tube extended for a handle and it would actually make a good wheel hoe.  Have to rig up some sort of digging tool.  Now whether I need such in my little garden.... who knows, but that would seem to be cheap shortcut to making one.  Just need to extend tubing for handle and make a solid perch to mount digging tool.  The hula hoe is popular on newer versions.  The old Planet Jr.  used the five prong digger attachment.  New ones go from $300 and up, OUCH.  This truly isnt rocket science as long as one is pushing the implement and not the wheel axle.  And angle of handle needs to fit the person, adjustable would be best.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down