Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coleman liquid fuel stoves

Go down

Coleman liquid fuel stoves Empty Coleman liquid fuel stoves

Post by Admin Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:22 pm

My daily driver is old 425C. Anyway generator tube got wonky, partly carbon, but from messing while back the needle is bit short cause part threaded end broke off, so doesnt adjust properly either. When it would light, it would intitially flare up big time. So not really any repairing it. You cant buy just needle.

Guess what, Coleman discontinued selling replacement generator tubes. Grrr. So the price of remaining NOS specimens has zoomed. I had to give $30 for NOS one on Ebay that had retail sticker of $6.58 on it. Saw one from 1960s with price of $1.59 printed right into factory label. LOL Yea its new and $30 is the new going price, but interesting cost of it back in the day. On Amazon, they are $36. Hoping somebody jumps in with a reproduction part. One that holds up as well as Coleman ones. I still think they could be sold $15 to $20 in todays inflated money. But Coleman isnt interested, guessing they are phasing out their gasoline stoves or at least parts for the old ones so they can milk profit from selling new ones. Propane stoves are lot less maintenance and easier to use, BUT then one has to hassle with getting tank filled or buy those super expensive little disposable bottles propane/butane. Those make some sense for a torch, but not for cooking.

That fixed it. Blue flame that is adjustable. But of course I got to looking at old Coleman stoves. Bought a 425E in what looked nearly new condition. It had a scorch mark on front of housing from somebody using a too big pan/griddle. But otherwise obvious it didnt have much use. The paint was otherwise pristine. $44 shipped. they said they tested it. It turned out to be good one right out of box, filled tank with gas, pumped it up and voila, blue flame, for $15 more than just new generator tube. The hinges on it are bit weak, apparently made at a time Coleman was trying to cut costs. But if I have to, will make new heavier duty ones.

I also saw an old 413G. These were a bigger heavier stove. And new they cost lot more. Not as much as the rare 3 burner models, but lot more than typical 425 models. So less demand for remaining replacement generator tubes. Well I got the thing for $36 shipped (seriously shipping what it is, they didnt make lot on it, its truly heavy stove) and it had been abused then left with half tank fuel for couple decades. Yea the seller shipped it in mail with the half tank of muck still in it. Truly lazy. I drained it and then completely disassembled valve and generator tube. Soaked them in hot vinegar-salt solution. Cleaned what I could with piece steel wool. Never did get spring out of tube, but got enough carbon removed the needle slid back and forth easily. Decided to put it together and see if it would light before i lost any pieces. Nope, check valve in tank gummed up from old fuel setting it it forever. So took it out and played with it using carb cleaner and some ATF. Got it working, but tank was nasty inside so was spraying carb cleaner in it and then rinsing with some fresh gasoline. Finally put it all back together, oiled the pump leather and bingo, got a blue flame. That tank still isnt as clean inside as one would wish but for most part it works pretty well considering my only expense was couple cup white vinegar, some salt, and can carb cleaner.

I am still trying to figure out way to remove remaining carbon from the generator tube so I can get spring out. Seriously you burn pump gas they will carbon up lot faster than the $16 a gallon Coleman white gas. Price difference on fuel such that it didnt matter that much, just buy a new generator tube if necessary. You quickly save money for replacement generator IF you can buy one. But if I can find something that will dissolve the carbon better, just disassemble the generator tube once every few months and soak it before spring gets embedded in carbon. I think the vinegar/salt solution work ok, the price is right, if it was done on regular basis. Waiting until one can barely extract the needle (I had to use pliers) and one has lot more problem.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down