Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trying to use ntop

Go down

Trying to use ntop Empty Trying to use ntop

Post by Admin Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:59 pm

Its a small program for monitoring and metering web traffic. Hoping it will meter traffic through the Straight Talk hotspot. Person that wrote it didnt make it newbie friendly. I got it installed and running, but not doing what I want. Enough frustration for now I guess, try again later. Warning to anybody installing this in linux, it requires a LOT of added libraries. Not big ones, but lot little ones. For you windows only users, a library is much like a dll file in windows. Usually if any dll is needed that isnt built into windows, it will be included and added by the installer program. Not so with linux, you go track them down and add them.

Ntop does work in both windows and linux so be really really nice to have it functioning though there are much easier metering progs for windows.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Trying to use ntop Empty Re: Trying to use ntop

Post by Admin Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:41 pm

Found another one called BitMeter. This one works and is lot more newbie friendly. Works on both windows and linux by the way.

But bad news, those folk mentioning ST data usage being higher than same activities on other type connections are correct. I found while connected and just idling, I was using 1/100 MB data every ten seconds.. This adds up. Best I can come up with is that it burns this data to maintain the wifi connection cause I tried it with email shut off and browser that doesnt try to update itself. There is nothing but Firefox browser and Thunderbird email that do this on small linux system I use. With them off, nothing trying to update. Anyway I used this same setup with Virgin Mobile using usb stick modem and made it almost a month on 1.5gb data so has to be something besides some email/update thing. I no longer have any data left on Virgin account or I would try it with Bitmeter to make sure if it uses any data while idling. I think its a wifi problem.

However using the Verizon network, this is fastest connection I have ever had. So if it costs me $30 to $40 to get through month, so be it. Doesnt seem to be cheaper way to do it. Like say landline plus dialup isp costs about the same and lot more painful to get anything done beyond simple email. I will just have to not linger online and compose email and any web posts offline.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:24 pm

Ok, not sure I am correct. Just for kicks, I brought up Bitmeter after disconnecting and turning off the hotspot. It still showed increase in data, much slower increase, and upload only. It was Puppy broadcasting, looking for its lost WIFI connection. So Bitmeter is showing not only web data but the communication between computer and hotspot router itself to maintain WIFI. This shouldnt count in my ST usage but??? Anyway its a check on what ST says I used. What they say I use day to day should be less than Bitmeter shows. I have no way to measure just data going between Verizon network and the hotspot.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum