Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Converting PAL dvd to NTSC with freeware

Go down

Converting PAL dvd to NTSC with freeware Empty Converting PAL dvd to NTSC with freeware

Post by Admin Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:28 am

Long ago I had a stand alone dvd player that on remote was button to toggle PAL/NTSC so I could buy and play PAL dvds. Then it went to dvd player heaven and I got the cheap Sony at Walmart. Best made dvd player ever, thing has outlasted all the other stand alone dvd players I have owned put together. But it doenst do PAL. Computer only option if I wanted to watch my PAL dvds.

Oh its been years and not first attempt at this, there is expensive windows software that can convert and probably better and faster, but kinda misses the point if I have to spend lot more to watch the PAL version dvds I bought cause they were whole lot cheaper than NTSC version sold in USA. Well some of dvds not even available in region one NTSC version.

Whats even sweeter, did this on linux. Started when I happened to see stupid youtube video where somebody was showing how to add decryption abilities to free program called Handbrake. Handbrake as downloaded and installed cant handle encryption. On this video, took decryption dll out of VLC video player software and put it in Handbrake. No installing anything, just moved it from VLC to Handbrake. VLC has it to be able to play dvds. Handbrake could now decrypt movie dvds. Cool. Googled and with linux version of Handbrake you install Ubuntu-Restricted-Extras, basically same thing, linux version. Ubuntu cant by law (as they see it) include the codecs/player decription stuff with Ubuntu. But can offer it, your choice to use it depending on laws in your country... making it legally your responsibility. Sure its a lawyer thing.

So great, it does work. I installed and used Handbrake and the Ubuntu extras on Puppy and ripped Jeremy Brit as Sherlock, a new one. However now I have an MP4 video. Only halfway there. Several free choices to take it from MP4 to dvd in windows. Probably DVDflick be obvious one. But since I was curious if I could do this entirely in linux, and apparently for decade now DVDflick wont run in WINE. But found one called Devede. There are some older windows versions, but newer versions only linux. A more complicated linux program to install I have never seen. Boatload of dependencies and libraries. Without spending days manually installing it, wasnt going to happen in Puppy. So booted that Ubuntu Cosmic Cuttlefish I used for the hotspot. Where the hell is Synaptic??? Oh they dumbed it down with a supposed easier software manager that they then kinda hid. But somehow using their built in search found option to download and install Synaptic. Once that was installed, it found Devede and all its numerous dependencies. Once installed, Devede is basically linux version DVDflick. And its not super speedy, but it converted the MP4 to a dvd iso file. Its supposed to be able to burn the iso, but it couldnt. Rather than install burner software on Ubuntu, I just burned the iso in Puppy. Bingo it played on the Sony stand alone. Not perfect, the menu not working but movie played, with video looking ok and the voices/sound in synch with the video. Probably should experiment more getting menus functioning. But this is easy enough, albeit slow that can just set one of old laptops over in corner and it can chug away doing this stuff without tying up my regular computer.

I may install DVDflick on my old win10 computer and see if its any faster than Devede. I used it long ago for something but thats last time. If I remember it worked well, but like Devede, wasnt super speedy. Though both these might be lot speedier with modern computer with 4 core processor and boatload of RAM???

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum