Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

radio problems

Go down

radio problems Empty radio problems

Post by Admin Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:23 am

I had some years ago been disgusted with table radios available, including a particular "shelf stereo" I bought that had short life.  Bought a car radio that could not only do AM/FM, but could pickup the digital sub channels of the local NPR station.  At time the news and talk during day were on those.  Powered it with an old desktop computer power supply.

So it gave up the ghost.  Oh I think it still does what it needs to do internally but it can no longer output sound to the speaker.  Shame, I liked it.  

So for while used pocket radio with computer speakers plugged in headphone output.  That works fine but on-off switch tedious and runs battery only.

Bought $12 clock radio at Aldi (one of weekly special buys last time I was there)  Its kinda weak radio, sometimes however doesnt pickup the signal.  And weak speaker too.  

Was kinda looking at radios on ebay and doing search for more info on one model, found post somebody made that my Sonim XP5 phone has built in FM radio and its strong.  Well I never played with it cause for it to function you have to plug in earbuds or handset or something.  Otherwise you try to use it and it tells you to plug them in.  Uses the cord as an antenna I guess.  Well I have an old handset for cell phone.   Got it back when I had that horrible Boost Mobile phone that regular speaker sounded like talking through clowns mouth at drive through fast food place, pretty garbled. Finally found that handset and plugged it in.  After some fumbling, got it tuned and playing... through the handset.  Ok, hit the speaker phone button (this phone has great speaker phone) and turned up volume.  Great little pocket radio with good reception and doesnt need the computer speakers.

Interesting anyway.  Dont want to use my cell phone as dedicated radio.  But one of these shows up cheap with bad IMEI or doesnt recognize any SIM or something that doesnt let it function as a phone, then if cheap enough make a great quality pocket radio.   Any cell phone and especially this "rugged" Sonim phone far more robust than any pocket radio.  Turning radio on in phone not super convenient, but hey cant have everything.  Sonim originally cost several hundred dollar, so it should be good quality.  Old enough now, complete working examples used on Ebay start at like $18.  Those with problems for parts $5 and up.  Cheapest network unlocked version $28 and I think the rare factory unlocked versions start more like $50 if any happen to show up.  Factory unlocked phones always the rarest.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

radio problems Empty Re: radio problems

Post by Admin Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:48 pm

Remembered I had that older retired 3G Sonim Bolt. It too has FM tuner built in. Its not as robust tuner as the XP5 but it is fine with public station and can plug computer speakers in headset jack for decent sound. Its built in speaker is weaker than XP5.

I do want to experiment and see how cell FM works in car. Most pocket radios and such dont work well, static from car's ignition, etc. and weak speaker. I dont use car radio much but one in the Festiva is some silly aftermarket crap with dancing lights that previous owner put in. Hit a bump, it can turn off or on or change channel or whatever. Not a great radio. But dont use it often enough to justify replacing it. If my cell phone can do same job, bingo, just figure how to mount it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:51 pm

Update, the radio in the Bolt phone stopped working. I have couple junk Sonim XP5 now. Blacklisted as phones so were very cheap. It has best radio and built in speaker. It works in car, but not really loud enough to overcome car noises. Hey its an older car and never was insulated for sound.

Also the little battery pocket radio. I got a $4 thing that converts from battery to cable that plugs into a usb charger thingy that plugs in wall outlet. Has two fake AA batteries that fit where real batteries went, and usb cable out from them. Works fine, except if I unplug it, it loses the settings. But no buying batteries. Batteries are fine for once in a while use, but suck for daily use. And heaven help if they leak. The fake batteries will never leak.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down