Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRAND NEW Kohler 7.75 XT 173cc XT775-2037

Go down

BRAND NEW Kohler 7.75 XT 173cc XT775-2037 Empty BRAND NEW Kohler 7.75 XT 173cc XT775-2037

Post by Admin Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:14 pm

I have absolutely no immediate use for this engine, but got special offer to buy it on Ebay for $80 plus $30 shipping. Seller had like three and guess wanted to get rid of them quick.  Its 173cc Kohler clone of Honda GXV160.  Its non-compliance version, meaning heavy flywheel with no brake like lawn mower engines have.  And has little lever right on engine to adjust throttle.  One of those combo throttle choke setups where you put lever just past the "rabbit" and it closes choke.  Move it down to between rabbit and tortoise and the choke opens.  Of course can disconnect it and run choke manually via cable if you want.  I saw these listed all summer at $130 or higher.  So $110 plus tax.  Well its a good deal.  Though like Dad used to say, its not a bargain if you have no need for it.  However I do know this is good engine, probably close to the old GXV160 as you get.  Genuine Honda GXV160 still made, but even it is now made in China and sold for crazy price between $400 and $500.  Seriously not a bargain.  I mean its a great engine and all but even if you got 30 year out of it, you are still betting on getting more than three times the life of the Kohler XT clone.  And I dont think you will.  Also it is made in China unlike the older versions made in Japan or USA.  

I think with maintenance, the Kohler probably go at least 20 year and might come close to genuine Honda's 30 year.  Talking in terms of part year use.  Like mower or log splitter or whatever.  You use any small engine daily and it wont last near as long.  Think of GX and GXV Honda as 3000+ hour engine runtime and Briggs more like 500 to 1000 hour.  Push mower version.  Briggs Vanguard engines every bit good as Honda.  But dont think they put those on push mowers.  Briggs "e" engines they do use on push mowers ok but thin castings and as much plastic as they possibly could use on an engine.  It could been as good as Honda, but they cheapened it to maximize profit.  Get a used mower with Honda GCV160  and think you have better chance getting long life.  Though I have done well with my free Murray and Briggs 500e (140cc) this summer.  Free cause friend of mine couldnt keep it running with the plastic carb.  I made an adapter and put adjustable carb on it from ancient Tecumseh.  (Here come the EPA black helicopters soon as I post this...)  Adjustable carb is wonderful thing on small engine, least for consumer.

Hey anymore Harbor Freight wants $150 for their Predator 173cc clone vertical shaft engine which is weird cause their bigger 212cc horizontal shaft Predator is $125 and seen the coupons to still get it for $100.  That is real deal though take lot adapting to put horizontal shaft engine on a push mower and its also heavier.  And 173cc is minimum spec, short dipstick, aluminum flywheel, primer bulb, etc.  Meant for lawn mower, though people use them on splitters, etc.  Otherwise its same Honda clone engine as the Kohler I think, maybe slightly less quality control.  I think $150 for a Predator is crazy, unless you are going to treat it with same care needed to get genuine Honda to 30 year.    Though if you look at what low end push lawnmowers are selling for with Briggs 125cc or "Powermore" clones that I have no experience with, but seem not the quality of Kohler or Predator clones, then I guess $150 doesnt sound so bad to repower an older mower.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum