Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The end of 3G and non-whitelisted 4G phones on ATT network

Go down

The end of 3G and non-whitelisted 4G phones on ATT network Empty The end of 3G and non-whitelisted 4G phones on ATT network

Post by Admin Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:34 am

I mostly use Red Pocket MVNO on their GSMA network (ATT), but got a 365day BYOP plan from Tracfone for $40 last fall.  You have 365 days to use up 3GB data, 1200 min voice, and 1200 texts.  Nice emergency plan for phone can stick in glovebox.  However by end December, Tracfone was bitching that I needed to upgrade phone by February.  Its also on ATT network.  ATT in its infinite wisdom is not only eliminating 3G by February, but also all 4G LTE that arent whitelisted.  Supposedly older 4G phones that dont do HD Voice (their version VoLTE).  VoLTE standing for Voice over LTE.  Havent heard word from Red Pocket about this which is confusing.  

But ok, if ATT network is banning non-whitelisted phones, then sure that will include Red Pocket on ATT network also.  So found the list of whitelisted phones.  The Sonim XP5800, least the version with ATT software is whitelisted.  Bought one off Ebay, prices of course high cause demand for cheap whitelisted phones.  Gave $40 for one.  Then after I had ordered it, somebody mentioned they had a Kyocera flip phone that was whitelisted.  Ouch, those are expensive buggers over $100 used.  But saw a Kyocera candybar smartphone for $25.  Cheapest whitelisted phone far as I can tell.  Ordered one.  Also ATT branded one so shouldnt be problem.

Ok, the Sonim uses usb-C cord which I dont have so ordered one for $5.  Got phone and the cord.  SLOW tethering, figured it was cord since its not OEM.  It would drop the usb tether connection to computer frequently.  Ordered pkg of 3 used usb-C cords.  

But also ordered that $25 Kyocera.  Kyrocera came with charger and OEM cord.  Had bunch ATT crapware installed that couldnt be uninstalled.  But worked with Azilink.  I also installed F-Droid and Discreet Launcher that lets me hide all the junk software I cant uninstall.  Also installed Super Freez that supposedly keeps apps from running in background.  Downside of Kyocera is that if you turn off phone it auto turns off usb debugging so have to go through all that when start it again.  Azilink and Easy Tether both require it.  ATT blocks built in Android tethering even though Red Pocket doesnt care if one tethers.  Just part of joy having an ATT branded version Android.

The got my three usb-C cords.  One cut in two places, one aftermarket junk, one works.  But Sonim still drop tethering connection fairly frequently.  I did factory refresh of Android on the Sonim.  Just tried it this evening.  Dropped connection once but hasnt since.  So thinking success.  Havent tried either phone with the Tracfone SIM.  Thats next.  Both phones are ATT whitelisted so shouldnt be any problem, but one never knows for sure until one tries it in real world.

Still really annoying to have to deal with this.  The old Sonim XP5700 does do 4G LTE data but not HD VoICE.  Not whitelisted of course.  The Moto E2 even shows VoLTE at top of screen, but its not whitelisted.  Probably not version VoLTE that ATT wants.  Though I checked and Tmobile also rejects it.  Its a Canadian Bell unlocked phone.  Assume Motorola didnt want to mess getting older model whitelisted.   And no idea why Red Pocket is so silent.  CAuse if ATT is banning non-whitelisted phones, then that should apply to MVNO on ATT network.....  

Thankfully resetting the Sonim seems to have solved the problem with tether connection to computer dropping.  Cause I would hate to be out $40.  If I had known about the $25 Kyocera phones, would just got two of them.  Its nice enough phone except for all the crapware you cant uninstall.  Especially for the price.  Obviously wasnt a cheap phone when brand new.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The end of 3G and non-whitelisted 4G phones on ATT network Empty Re: The end of 3G and non-whitelisted 4G phones on ATT network

Post by Admin Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:42 pm

Well the used whitelisted phones I got are still working, both on Red Pocket and Tracfone. And finally Tracfone took down that warning on my account that my phone would stop working as of Feb 22. So yea as badly handled as this ATT whitelist nonsense was, seems the MVNOs at least honored the ATT whitelist. Or rather the two I mention. Some apparently didnt.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down