Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chromium gnome-keyring popup

Go down

Chromium gnome-keyring popup Empty Chromium gnome-keyring popup

Post by Admin Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:51 am

sudo sed -i '/^Exec=/s/$/ --disable-infobars --password-store=basic %U/' /usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop

https://askubuntu.com/questions/31786/chrome-asks-for-password-to-unlock-keyring-on-startup

This is command offered by one poster in Ubuntu forum thread above to ditch this and it works. This is for Chrome browser, for Chromium browser, substitute "chromium.desktop" for "google-chrome.desktop" or use appropriate version for whatever chromium-clone browser you are using. There are other solutions. Oh and in MX, look for "Passwords and Keys" in programs if you want to do it the gui way.

Oh you will probably have to redo this if your browser auto updates or you manually update. I think Chrome auto updates, but Chromium doesnt. Your clone may or may not. For whatever reason, seems to be a current Chrome/Chromium thing, well the linux versions. Nicer to ditch it, but you can just click "cancel" twice each and every time this pops up when you open your browser. I was doing that until recently as I rarely used it. When on throttled data Firefox times out trying to open Protonmail, over and over so very painful experience. On EasyOS, have Vivaldi (chromium clone) installed and it does very well opening Protonmail with slow connection. On MX have chromium installed, cant remember why I installed it. After setting it up to auto login to Protonmail account, it now does so just as fast as Vivaldi. So since I will use it least couple days a month wanted to get rid of the nag popup.

Not sure why in recent years getting all these "security nags" and "hoops to jump" in linux. They might be useful in some circumstances, but for a single user privately owned/used computer they are a nuisance and then have to go research how to disable/ditch them. then you run across bunch apologists trying to convince you that your computer will immediately blow up and result in your painful death, if you try to disable them. Hey linux is about individuals having the power to be stupid and make their own decisions, not be dictated to by big brother. But getting to where you wouldnt know that. And its fine to offer security hoops to jump for anybody wanting it, but not offering option to opt-out when setting things up, isnt nice. Opting out shouldnt be time consuming and painful. Should be simple as ticking a "yes" or "no" box during setup. Gotta assume linux users have their big boy pants on and can live with any unpleasant consequences.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum