Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gas can spout

Go down

gas can spout Empty gas can spout

Post by Admin Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:03 pm

I had bought new EPA type gas cans some time back. I took apart the annoying EPA mandated spout, but that left a big slot, tried taping it but wouldnt last. So used spout off older can, but it wouldnt clamp down fully so get gas on my shoe.

Ok, after my success gluing the air intake tube on Ranger with super glue and baking soda, tried gluing a 3/4 inch pvc coupler inside the threaded bit that original spout screwed onto. Worked amazingly well, that super glue plus baking soda is a truly miraculous way to glue hard plastic. Then just stuck piece 3/4 pvc into the coupler as spout. Have to remove the pipe from coupling to put gas into can as the pump nozzle is 13/16 inch and the coupler is little over inch ID . But the 3/4 pipe is of course 3/4 inch ID.

I was just fooling around to see if I could glue to the gas can plastic. Probably polyethylene? I can glue the can!! If doing it over would use one inch pvc pipe, no coupling needed. Still can use one inch I guess, more round about way. the OD of the 3/4 coupling is around one inch. Sand it down until it just fits inside the one inch coupling then use one inch pvc for spout and put screw on adapter and cap. Then just have to unscrew the cap to fill can.

I know the 3/4 pvc makes nice spout. Six inch long piece seems about right. I use couple old WWII era military jerry cans for the tractor. Lost the metal spout for them one way or another and replacement cost an arm and a leg, so made one out of pvc fittings. Easy on cans as they have a 2" NPT threaded area for spout. The modern stuff has weird proprietary threads or just a spring loaded cap. But swear I trully like that pvc spout for the old jerry cans much better than previous annoying flexible metal spout made for them. Should be fine on newer plastic cans also now that I can actually attach it.

For modern vehicle none of the can spouts work that great, even flexible ones, usually better off using one of those rigid funnels with long skinny end that will fit down into filler holding trap door open. Then pour gas into the funnel. Either that or set gas can higher than car gas tank and use one of those jiggler siphon dealies to put gas from can into car.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

gas can spout Empty Re: gas can spout

Post by Admin Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:25 pm

Playing more with the super glue plus baking soda. Found a old 2gal plastic gas can with gouge/split in it. Sealed right up. And this time glued a length of thin wall pvc one inch diameter pipe as a spout. Again did fine. Will need a cap for it.

Also found old skinny funnel with three cracks. I glued it, but whoa, didnt take. Guess its some different plastic not friendly to this method. Thats ok, it really wasnt worth repairing, can buy new one real cheap. Most interesting that there are hard plastics this doesnt work on.

Oh, also mentioned I had some baking soda on one of my hands and spilled bit super glue on it. OUCH. This is indeed an intense exothermic chemical reaction. VERY HOT! No doubt why it can latch onto plastics that no other consumer glue can come close to sealing.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum