Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP Ranger

Go down

RIP Ranger Empty RIP Ranger

Post by Admin Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:48 am

Short version of story. I had to go to town and wanted to stop off at friends place before they headed back to Texas. So took interstate and exit at small town near their place. Worst curvy hilly road ever between this town and interstate. Anyway on big left curve (for me), this lady in Jeep drifts over the line and wham bam. Nobody hurt but both vehicles totalled. She is all apologetic. Fine, crap happens. I am not mad, not happy, but like say old enough to know stuff happens. Its state hiway so have to wait on state cop. Person calling them gives wrong location.... Anyway the lady is admitting guilt to me, my insurance company, her insurance company.... Two guys hook chain to her vehicle and drag it out of middle of road as people arent slowing down. Then genius cop gets there and sees scrap where they dragged it and claims I was one that went over the line. I argue a bit but he starts getting really mad so dont need him going postal or whatever. Interestingly he doesnt give me a ticket though he claims I was over the line. Big red flag, I am betting he knows this woman and is just trying to save her butt and if possible make my insurance pay. He just doesnt want to be dragged into court to defend his conclusion. Its rural area down where this town is and this woman is local, I am ten miles north and only lived here 30 years. In rural areas, they tend to be clannish and look after their own. Oh and sure the cop told the woman to shut up as she apparently changed her story after cop talked to her. Not like I was going to sue her or anything, nobody was hurt and neither vehicle valuable. Just inconvenience more than anything.

I talk to insurance adjuster and he is scratching his head. This woman told MY insurance company on phone that she was at fault. I told him about cop's theory of a dent in pavement. Havent heard anymore about it.

Anyway Ranger is totalled. Its a 94 and at best worth around $1500. Axles both knocked loose from frame, side of cab caved in. If she had been little farther over, we probably both be dead. Oddly no damage to actual grill/radiator, etc. Windshield cracked. Engine still runs. I had to turn it off after being hit. I was surprised they let me, but I had tow truck bring Ranger remains here. Hey, good engine and transmission and I put lot effort into making it so. If it had went to impound lot, wouldnt been worth baling it out if her insurance didnt pay the bill and looking like it probably wont.

So really sucky situation. No more Ranger, and F250 has the death rattle. And its January.

I got Festiva started, been setting like three years. Need something to drive, there is no taxi service out here and people I could ask favors of are dead. I bought the Ranger cause driveway getting bad and it had lot better ground clearance. Driveway was taking big toll on the Festiva forcing me to deal with continual exhaust and gas tank problems from rocks and ruts in driveway.

Anyway driveway in lot nicer condition thanks to new neighbor. Festiva when first started wouldnt stay running. Kept messing and finally used that cheapo electric fuel pump bypassing the mechanical pump. Then it stayed running. Ordered new mechanical pump and put it on yesterday in the rain. It works.

Oh and I had remembered what I thought was a bad rear transaxle mount on Festiva, even had bought new one three years ago, but hadnt put it on since I wasnt driving the thing. Well crawled under with crowbar and for life of me didnt see a problem. I am wondering if the bumpity bump I felt three years ago was a failing fuel pump.... causing engine to buck. Guess I will find out when I drive it up to get licensed on Wednesday.

Oh and no way to drive to insurance company office so they wouldnt let me take Ranger off by phone (claim they need a signature), but would let me add the Festiva. (more money) Emailed me proof of insurance. The DMV lady will be at local small town community center on Wednesday, go license it then. Hoping she can just automatically tell its been assessed and my taxes paid for the previous year so dont have to drive to courthouse for proof of assessment/tax paid paper. Been so long cant remember, but think last time I went to DMV I didnt need to go to court house and get stamped assessment paper to show them, they just had info in their computer already. Festiva hasnt been licensed for three years but I have assessed it as part of my personal property and paid tax on it.

It does make one think how I probably be dead if I had taken that hit in 1500 pound Festiva rather than 4200 pound Ranger..... But probably just not my time yet and fate is fickle. I could easily died in 4200 pound Ranger if woman had drifted over just little further. The devil is always in the details.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

RIP Ranger Empty Re: RIP Ranger

Post by Admin Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:33 pm

Its licensed.  Quite peppy with new fuel pump.  I guess weak fuel pump was one of its problems when I parked it.  Went to insurance place and they said Ranger already removed.  Jeesh after they told me on phone they couldnt drop it without a signature.  Wont even get into stupid woman at DMV (new younger woman) charging me three years registration fees.  She just couldnt get it through her head that I owned the thing already and paid personal property taxes on it.  That it WASNT DRIVEN those three years so didnt need to be registered.  

Anyway its legal, has new battery and new wipers.  I mainly got the Anco wipers as they have the stainless strips so I can replace just rubber with super cheap silicone rubber strips off ebay.  Silicone lasts forever, even the cheap stuff.  But will say brand new these Anco do nice job.  I suspect natural rubber.  Though natural rubber tends not to last more than 6 month.  Sunshine degrades it quickly.

As to battery, TSC didnt have the mid level 2 year "Traveler" group 34 they said they had in stock.  After lot looking finally bought their Econostar 90day group 34 as best bang for the buck and biggest that would easily fit without lot modification.  $90 with 700cca and 120 minute reserve.   I put it in out in parking lot.  Wanted it to charge some driving home.  No problem, but then I suspect some lawn mower batteries would start the Festiva, not a hard starting engine.  90day is long enough to know if some obvious factory defect.  Easily as Festiva started, I suspect no problem.  Hecho en Mexico! so ??? how long it will last.  Guessing 3 to 5 year as its overkill for Festiva, so even when too weak for bigger engine, still probably start Festiva.  The group 24F battery out of RAnger would start Festiva, but it has little reserve.  If engine doesnt start easily, then it runs out juice quick.  I was intending to put a group 31 in the Ranger, luckily I didnt I guess.

I really prefer to buy a group 31 battery but no way to fit it under hood of Festiva, it would have to be remote mounted and just not worth it.  They however are super heavy duty made for high vibration offroad equipment and heavy trucks so tend to last long time if you get a good one.  Truly most bang for the buck if you can make it fit.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:28 am

Festiva is doing ok. I am still looking around for pickup. Found a $400 Ranger with bad automatic transmission and 250k miles close to me but it was gone in less than a day. Been lot work moving drivetrain from mine into it as I imagine it was four cylinder, it was single cab short bed and most of those were four cylinder, a few the 3.0L V6. Rare to see one with the 4.0L.

There is a really nice looking Explorer with OHV 4.0L and 150k miles and blown transmission for $1000. But was more looking for a single cab pickup.

Also an '85 Dodge with low mile rebuilt carburetor 360 for $1200. That rebuilt 360 makes it worth the money, though it has an automatic and maybe actual reason its being sold. Maybe showing signs of starting to slip. People will rebuild an engine or transmission but not both, then sort of give up on it when the one they didnt rebuild breaks. Anyway its down from original price of $1750 which I thought was too much though sure that rebuilt engine wasnt cheap.

No big hurry.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 pm

The 85 Dodge down to $1000 for while and I was really debating. This morning it was down to $800. That built a fire under me, I emailed and texted. Guy texted me back that he had just sold it. Oh well. I was interested as it had low mile rebuilt 360 and it was drivable as is, not some basket case needing lot work, just usual little fixits on old car.

I swear I didnt find much of anything else under $1500 that seemed worth the money, just basket cases. I suppose if I were desperate for just basic transportation and would settle for a small older car..... Kind of vehicles I am interested in seem way out in boonies long way a way and still have to be trailered or towed. But suppose makes a kind of sense. I want practical rural farm vehicle that hasnt been made since 90s. But live close to urban area so get commuter cars and SUVs and silly 4 door pickups with a 4 foot box.

Oh well, just be patient, something will show up, it always does. And its getting warmer weather more often so after I give up on firewood due to hot weather, will put the spare engine in the F250 and make it reliable to drive on hiway again. Body isnt great but I have got by with it for lot years now.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down