Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

grinder for oily seeds

Go down

grinder for oily seeds Empty grinder for oily seeds

Post by Admin Tue May 05, 2020 12:04 am

Second cheap coffee grinder quit.  Been using it for grinding flax, chia, and sunflower seeds.  Oily seeds dont work well in burr type flour grinder.

Should say the cheap coffee grinders do so-so job.  Not a real even grind.  Looked around and all I found was more expensive variations on cheap plastic coffee grinder.  Well that and EXPENSIVE heavy duty blenders.

I remember the old all stainless steel VitaMix blenders.  They were impressive looking but crazy expensive.  Apparently they went all plastic around 1990.  New replacement parts havent been available for older 3600 and 4000 models for 20 years now.  Yea lot of them on ebay.  Downside, the blade assembly bearings go bad and liquid leaks down through bearing.  You can tell by looking at bottom of the stainless jar.  If its pristine, its ok.  If its dirty/stained then its leaking.  

There is some guy that sells his services on ebay.  If your old 3600/4000 base has 12pt shaft, he has expensive kit to use modern plastic jar on it with modern blade assembly.  Or for mere $188, he will recondition your stainless jar, machine it and put modern blade assembly into it.  Oh there are also now Chinese "heavy duty" blenders, one is copy of current VitaMix that brag lasting upto 10 years.  What a miracle of modern engineering.  The old ones could last lot longer.

So after lot looking at old Vitamix for sale and at lot plastic coffee grinders....  I finally bought a Vitamix 4000 for $100.  On its way. Pristine bottom of the stainless jar.  Seller says it works fine.  Guy on youtube says you want to lube the motor bearings and the blade bearing twice a year.  Apparently the 3600 instructions suggest this maintenance.  

I hope it just works and continues working rest of my life.  I am willing to lube the bearings periodically.  If not then guess I try to adapt modern blade assembly as I think I could do it cheaper than $188.  The 4000's all have the 12 point motor stud needed for upgrade.  The six point older motors can work but then you need yet another rare adapter.  Seriously the spigot leaking and the blade assembly breaking or leaking is downside of the old Vitamix.  The motors lasted forever.  Built like a brick outhouse as they used to say.  I wish there was something newer that wasnt crazy priced that was built to last.  But there isnt.  Its all window dressing and hype anymore.  Nobody builds stuff to last multiple decades.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down