Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2nd and 3rd GCV160

Go down

2nd and 3rd GCV160 Empty 2nd and 3rd GCV160

Post by Admin Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:20 am

The second I put on old Bear Cat mower as I wanted a mower with grass catcher to mulch garden with grass clippings. After I welded "wings" on the blade, it works pretty well. Occasionally something goofy with float and needle valve as it will flood. Usually after it runs out gas and I refill it. Think the float drops too low and the needle valve jams.

Now just got a third GCV160, this one off a Harmony 2 genuine Honda mower though somewhere around 2006. Very clean engine but missing carburetor and all the little bits and bobs gaskets and linkages. That took some time finding all bit at reasonable price. Course after ordered everything, found seller on Amazon selling everything needed for $10 cheaper in single kit.

Finally got the gasket set including the plastic spacer and the air dam thingie. Old ones were metal, newer one is just gasket material. Altogether and I made own governor and choke rods out of bits of old wire hanger. I wasnt giving $10 each for bit wire.

Anyway it started and ran ok, cant imagine why they sold the carb and linkages off it separately, I mean its a nice clean engine. Its Chinese clone carb. It works but like the one on the Bear Cat, it occasionally floods. Gotta try to figure way to keep the float from dropping to where needle gets stuck. Takes lot effort to restart once one of these floods out.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

2nd and 3rd GCV160 Empty Re: 2nd and 3rd GCV160

Post by Admin Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:36 am

Oh will mention this last GCV160 off genuine Honda mower is interesting in that its easier to pull rope on it than on the other two. I mean crazy easy. The fuel shut off turns much easier too. No kickback even though aluminum flywheel and no blade yet.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:15 pm

Ok, I removed fuel bowl and clocked it opposite what it should be so the "drain plug" holds up outer end of float a bit.  On the genuine carbs, this would be a problem keeping float too high.  Nobody ever uses the drain plug, there isnt that much gasoline in the carb bowl at any time so just remove the whole bowl.  I assume something bit off on these last two Chinese carbs.  Most carburetors have a little tang on float that keeps float dropping too far.  These dont.  I suppose if one had to, could epoxy a little block wood in float bowl to keep float up, but this drain plug may work.  That first Chinese carb on Yazoo is fine.  It must be a better copy.  I suppose also on genuine carbs, the needle is bit longer.

I have to take it off again will compare it to genuine Honda carb. The Honda carbs are jetted wrong, to please EPA rather than make it run well. But otherwise at least their float and needle valve works properly. Wonder if one put jet and emulsion tube out of the Chinese carb into the Honda carb.... After I had already ordered the parts missing on this last GCV160, thought, hmm, maybe be interesting to just adapt an adjustable Tecumseh carb onto it. Take bit work, but eliminate all the gaskets and spacers and stuff. And its ADJUSTABLE. Works great on the Briggs 500E.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down