Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quikut paring knife

Go down

Quikut paring knife Empty Quikut paring knife

Post by Admin Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:10 am

Ran across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9unvcmWI3Uk

First you watch this and should notice the knife is DULL, seriously one of these properly sharp have no problem slicing ripe tomato without squishing it, but...

Anyway these have been around since at least late 1960s. Back then they had dual bevel edge. Sometime in 80s I think they went to single bevel. I really dont like single bevel. The Japanese knives that have single bevel are for special purposes like thin slicing sushi. Not good for general purpose use IMHO.

Anyway I am aware of them cause an uncle sold Pioneer Seed Corn. They gave these out to customers as a buyers premium gift. My aunt gave Mom couple of them. They came very sharp and cut amazingly well for number of years though Mom never could figure how to sharpen them. Must have eventually tossed them.

When I got into my kitchen knife hobby I got hold of couple the old ones with Pioneer stenciled on them. They were the dual bevel. Not hard to sharpen, pretty much like any other stainless knife. Like in video, they do have a thin blade and more of peeling/garnish knife than chopping/slicing knife. And they do need to be sharp. Not heavy enough to force when dull.

Oh and there are Chinese clones of this knife so watch out for that. Also tend to be single bevel and even cheaper quality. I got couple of those in some bundle of junk knives. You can convert them to dual bevel and give them decent sharp edge. You have to decide if its worth it to you. The original Quikut are decent enough. The Chinese ones barely usable until you do modify and sharpen them. They are not sharp out of package.

Oh the Quikut sell for kinda crazy amounts anymore. Seriously if you give new price, you can do better. But if you find old one for 50cents and want to mess with it, might end up with something you like. I have one up on magnetic bar I use to hold knives I use regularly. And I do use it. It is quite useful when dual bevel and sharp. Especially useful to peel fruit or veggies.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down