Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

End of the 'green glow' alarm clock

Go down

End of the 'green glow' alarm clock Empty End of the 'green glow' alarm clock

Post by Admin Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:42 pm

It had stopped.  Put new batteries in and second hand started moving and got the green glow at night.  Great except it loses time big time.  So end of its life.  

Been looking for other clocks that have LED illumination all night, not ones you have to push a button.  Two worth mentioning.  Found a KWANWA LED digital clock that runs on 3 or 4 D cells. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CG51SSC

End of the 'green glow' alarm clock 614GhKYBgZL._AC_SL1500_

Reviews said batteries last around 10 month.  Red and also said it fades out in bright room.  Another is dial type wall clock with Bulova name that looks like it has four LEDs and said it will stay illuminated for a year on four D cells. https://www.amazon.com/Bulova-C4826-Light-Clock-Champagne/dp/B01D1NF80E

End of the 'green glow' alarm clock Screenshot-2020-01-27-Amazon-com-Bulova-C4826-Light-Time-Wall-Cl

Digital is $30, the wall clock is $65.  Ouch.  Cause if you got one that failed after Amazon return, you are screwed.

So I found couple youtube videos where somebody in first one used LED strip around edge of clock inside the plastic cover over dial.  He powered it from wall wart.  Same with second guy that used individual LEDs and whole lot soldering.  I liked his result better though, but wow, lotta work.

So I have old non working 8 inch clock on wall in computer room, never got around to taking it down and tossing it.  Ordered a replacement clock movement off ebay for $1 shipped on slow boat from china, and a 1m LED strip for $2 shipped.  Got the 5V LED strip so can just plug it into usb wall wart like comes with everything anymore.

Today however happened to see another old clock in back storage room, its at least 12" though didnt measure it.  I only vaguely remember it, but do remember the movement in it failing.  Kinda think I will use new movement and LED strip in it rather than the 8" clock.  But as much as clocks cost anymore, will keep the 8" around and if this $1 movement works, maybe buy another for it.  Dont need more than one illuminated clock I am thinking.  Though be interesting if I could rig a dim one LED light for it with photocell.  You use big enough resistor and battery will last literally years, trick is finding balance between enough light vs. battery life.  I would consider battery lasting a year to be the ideal compromise.

I still have couple working alarm clocks, though not on any time schedule any more so cant imagine ever setting alarm on them.  One is really hard to read the time, other just old Timex that keeps on ticking, needs new battery once every couple years.  Plastic badly deteriorating, thats why I got the green glow alarm clock.  I looked, Timex doesnt sell any like it anymore, too bad, lot bang for the buck.  Had another Timex before it, but plastic finally just crumbled from sunlight, mean the hands literally fell off it into bits and housing wasnt sturdy enough to be worth replacing the hands.  Still it was great alarm clock for the money.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

End of the 'green glow' alarm clock Empty Re: End of the 'green glow' alarm clock

Post by Admin Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:39 pm

Did finally get the LED strip but seriously thats just too bright for night time bedroom. Before I even got it, was experimenting with single LED with 9V battery and 15k ohm resistor. Dim, but you get that focussed just right on clock face and you can tell time in dark without interfering with sleep. Dimmed like that no doubt last year on three AA if you could turn it off in daylight.

Well no real need to run it from battery, and would need photocell to turn it on and off to save battery power. So dug up an old 9VDC wall wart and used it to power the single dimmed LED. Bingo. And seriously doesnt take much electricity to power it year round, guessing mere pennies. No battery to conserve so just let it burn 24/7. I just tacked a literal stick I found in yard above clock and taped LED with its resistor at correct distance and angle it would focus its beam on the clock face. Maybe design something nicer looking in future, but for now, hey it works. Will mention I experimented and it works best illuminating a clock with black face and white numbers/hands.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down