Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sucky "File Explorer" in win10

Go down

Sucky "File Explorer" in win10 Empty Sucky "File Explorer" in win10

Post by Admin Mon May 20, 2019 12:56 pm

Ok keep playing with that Windows 10 RS5 Pro Lite Edition v8 2019 from http://allpcworld.com/windows-10-rs5-pro-lite-edition-v8-2019-free-download/  Somebody n-lited win10 pro.  Anyway, I installed it to an old Compaq 515 laptop with 2GB RAM.  Got wifi working from comments in above website:

After the installation the wifi will not work, you must make WLAN AutoConfig Service and Windows Connection Manager be automatic and running. It can be found in Component Services in Windows Administrative Tools in Start Button

And this gave me the clue to making tethering work which it didnt in complete official install of win10 on another computer.  On that computer well as this one, after install of Samsung usb driver for my ancient Eternity II phone (guessing intended for XP/VISTA), it shows as modem in device manager and if you click on it there you can query it successfully.  But networking doesnt see it.  There is another service listing close to WLAN AutoConfig that does same for wire connections.  I set it to automatic and started it.  Now networking sees my phone.  I still dont get "cellular option" that I take it newer cell phone drivers cause networking to show as option, but I can set it up using the dialup dialer connection thing and phone number *99#.  Then have to go back to cell phone in Device Manager under Advanced, and add the APN in format that dialer communicates this.  I just copied the line with APN from wvdial.conf  file in linux so it would be in proper format.  Oh this old laptop still had built in dialup modem.  Win10 sees that and has driver for it.  Kept nuking my tethering by substituting the dialup modem for my cell phone in connection I set up.  I finally had to specifically disable the dialup modem in Device Manager.  No more problem after that.

Bingo, I can tether.  This unofficial version win10 takes little under 10GB of tiny 24GB SSD I used for the experiment.  Its pretty bare bones, as say lot of the cruft removed and so been downloading small free apps to kinda make it bit more complete.  Its plenty fast with 2GB but then its been stripped of lot cruft and all the hidden phone home nonsense blocked.  Cortana has been kicked out of her apartment.

I truly dislike File Explorer in win 10.  I swear the version back in win95 was better when they called it Windows Explorer, though it was nothing to write home about.  Course I love ROX in Puppy Linux, so everything gets compared to that.  But took look for a replacement and have to say I like one called Q-Dir that I downloaded here: ,https://www.softwareok.com/?Download=Q-Dir  It opens four windows so you can have four directories open same time and drop and drag to your hearts content.  And its white background.  No idea whats up with dark computer themes anymore, hard for my old eyes to read on dark background.  Oh and for a replacement file search:  Wise JetSearch from https://www.wisecleaner.com/wise-jetsearch.html  I like it cause its always available with little searchbox that pops down from top of screen when needed.

Oh should mention win10 is not friendly to using dialup dialer even when its set up, makes you click like five screens to connect.  Are you sure, are you really sure, are you really, really, really sure.....?  I found small front end dialer app meant for like XP or something back when people used dial up (hey still million people in USA using it apparently).  It gets it down to two clicks.  I imagine I could put it in file to autostart it when I turn on laptop.  But two clicks is acceptable.  Alas it doesnt give way to add an APN, then again it was designed for genuine dialup, not tethering.

I am guessing people on dialup who maybe not going to be big computer users going to be flummoxed by Microsofts lack of concern for dialup users, if they happen to buy a new win10 computer.  When looking for that dialer app read some of horror stories.  Course these probably tend to be elderly and mostly use computer for email via an email client like Thunderbird.  Actually found this app suggested by some person on dialup that wasnt amused with win10.  Oh and get this, M$ doesnt offer a way to set dialup connection to metered, so Microsoft is going to try and push their mega bloat updates on poor unsuspecting grandma with dialup.  Yea thats really going to work.  I mean wifi always had option in win10 to set to metered.  And I think they added ethernet.  But nobody thought to add dialup or cellular.   Smarter to set grandma up with Puppy Linux to do her email on dialup.  It doesnt push updates or other crap.  I havent used dialup in long time but at one point Puppy had every linux driver for dialup modem in existance.  Though still smarter to get a hardware based dialup modem so you dont need special drivers.

Grandma isnt going to know how, but you can run various third part scripts to block win10 updates.  That would be necessity on a win10 computer on dialup. Help also to block the telemetry and other nonsense, as those updates background spying would constipate the connection to where it would be unusable for weeks at a time.  Plus lot of dialup isp's even in good ole days limited time you could be online.  You couldnt just go 24/7.   They would advertise unlimited, but then go on to explain unlimited doesnt mean unlimited, its just a marketing gimmick.  I am tethered to cell phone and I have limited data so block all that stuff.  But on dialup, wow.  Anybody doesnt realize it is SLOW, it worked back in day when websites just used simple static html and some silly banner ad was big deal.  But with all the javascript and complex crap on modern websites, many webpages would literally take an hour to load, though probably time out before it ever did finish loading.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down