Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MX-19.3 linux

Go down

MX-19.3 linux Empty MX-19.3 linux

Post by Admin Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:32 pm

I recently downloaded the iso and installed it.  Reminds me a lot of Lubuntu only with lot well thought out menus, etc.  And amazingly it comes with openvpn installed.  For me using AziLink to tether to phone, this is a real bonus as its hard to install offline and without it, cant go online except by using another computer and creating a hotspot with it.  AziLink needs openvpn and adb installed on computer you are tethering.  I copied the openvpn configuration files from Puppy.  Now adb, its part of Android tools package.  Well no harm in trying, I copied adb bin file from Puppy.  Tried running the AziLink script.  Nope, missing adb library.  Tracked it down with pFind (not in expected place) and moved it.  Well, surprise-surprise, seems adb can run statically, doesnt have to be installed, just run it.  Like old exe files in windows that just run when you click on them, you dont install them.

So gotta force myself make a cd with the adb files and an instructions text file explaining where to put them  and keep it with MX dvd.  MX does take its time booting, nowhere as fast booting as Lubuntu or Puppy.  Once booted its plenty fast.  And like Lubuntu it demands use of "sudo" plus password to do any root action.  If I keep it very long, will do like I did in Lubuntu and give user full root powers as workaround since it wont let me log in as root.  In Lubuntu, I still had to use sudo in root commands but no longer had to enter stupid password every little bit.  Look, I get the safety of the sudo thing on a shared computer like in an office, but for my own personal private computer, I dont need the extra hassle.  Something I always liked about Puppy, creator of Puppy understood  giving yourself permission to access your own computer is silly and exercise in futility.  Now Debian philosophy is that if you are adult enough to use Debian, you have your big boy pants on and can accept risk of being stupid.  As root, you definitely can hose the installation, but it lets you make decision to login as root.  Run everything as root if you want to.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down