Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AntiX 19 beta linux

Go down

AntiX 19 beta linux Empty AntiX 19 beta linux

Post by Admin Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:09 pm

I downloaded 32bit version. Supposed to be based on Debian Buster. Ok, for my needs this is no real improvement over Puppy Linux EXCEPT it offers apt-get package manager. And of course it has its quirks though gotta give it some forgiveness as this is a beta version. Its entitled to more quirks than standard release.

Its ok for most part. I did hose first install trying to get connman working with oFono plugin to see how tethering was that way. It comes with connman installed. However the cmcc utility that helps set things up cant be found independent of some Ubuntu only package that is now deprecated. Anyway during my experiments it got so DNS server wasnt working with the Gnome-ppp I was using to tether. I looked, couldnt find problem...

This isnt a large distribution so easier to just reinstall it than spend hours tracking down some bug. Great, I reinstall it and DNS isnt working for the new install. This time fresher brain in early morning hours. Its an old Debian bug I hadnt seen in long time, that creates a malformed DNS server address if you use option for auto detect. Answer is to use wvdial to tether and in /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial, comment out "usepeerdns". Then manually edit /etc/ppp/resolve.conf to put in your providers DNS servers or if you can then free public DNS servers. Since I am using cell data, ATT locks me into only using their DNS servers.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down