Homestead Tinkerer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Easytether is a PITA in linux

Go down

Easytether is a PITA in linux Empty Easytether is a PITA in linux

Post by Admin Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:13 pm

Easytether is a usb-debug work around for Android phones that have native tethering app blocked. Anyway it works great with windows. And some linux. So I try it with Fedora 35. Install the rpm for computer side of things. Use command "sudo easytether-usb". Works great. They dont give a disconnect command, so just leave it when I shut down computer.

Next time I boot and try and run easytether-usb, get message that another process is using tap-easytether. Worse, Azilink fails, connection refused. So boot up MX and go looking.

One suggestion to run command "fuser /dev/net/tap-easytether". Look and no such critter in /dev/net folder, just "tun" file. I rename the file and then run first easytether and then azilink, both upset about missing this "tun" file and fail, but dont say in use by another process anymore. Rename back to tun and get the in-use message. So "sudo fuser /dev/net/tun" and it shows a four digit number (pid?). Anyway "sudo kill ####"

Well easytether run again, connects but connection quickly drops. So use fuser again and kill the new different pid number. Then run Azilink and connects and stays connected.

Sure something else changed that easytether doesnt like cause it did work well that first time out after installation. But good ole Azilink still works. Too bad about Easytether, nice to have choices. As say, I have Easytether and it does work when I occasionally have to use win10, but it truly sucks with linux. I will boot up Manjaro again, Easytether worked best on it. See if it has it locked second time out. I assume it probably does. Should be a way to properly disconnect so it doesnt do this. Maybe look at network manager and see if I can shut it down through there. They really should give proper gui interface in linux like they do in windows, well at least give CL command to properly shut it down. Using fuser seems extreme.

Admin
Admin

https://homesteadtinkerer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Easytether is a PITA in linux Empty Re: Easytether is a PITA in linux

Post by Admin Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:12 pm

Ok, some experimenting, but "sudo nmcli dev disconnect iface tap-easytether"  seems to bring easytether down without leaving that PID behind.  Meaning I can then immediately type "sudo easytether-usb" and I am connected again.  No fuser command to get the PID number then another command to kill it.   nmcli stands for 'network manager command line"  or best i can figure.  Its how you manipulate network manager thru the command line.  Cause the network manager applet leaves lot to be desired.  It shows the tap-easytether connection but offers no way to bring it down.

This means couple shortcuts on desktop, one to connect easytether and one to disconnect easytether.  Without the typing.  I did that with Azilink on BusterDog linux which like Puppy runs in root so no sudo+password.  There is a way to create the script and enter a password but if I ever knew how, forgotten it.  Should look it up.  Be nice to do that in MX for Azilink.  sudo+password sucks.

EDIT: Ok, found an answer. Dont know if its the proper way, but it works to do what I want. Fuser with flag -km then the file you want it to search works. So "sudo fuser -km /dev/net/tun" does the deed. Done like that it searches file specified and kills any process inside. Dont have to specify a name cause only one tun or tap connection at a time. No new tun or tap until the PID is removed/killed on any existing ones. Now just make couple desktop shortcuts, one to run "sudo easytether-usb" and one to run "sudo fuser -km /dev/net/tun"

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:37 pm

Will mention "fuser" command I gave above will kill your x-server on some linux distributions. So you really need to just run "sudo fuser /dev/net/tun" and let it pop up the four digit pid number then "sudo kill ####" .

Easy Tether on windows wants to auto connect though it does give option not to autoconnect. Apparently it only does autoconnect on some linux. The ONLY linux I got it working reliably is LXDE spin of Fedora 35. Now trick here is to unplug phone and plug it back in, then it will auto connect. It doesnt have a built in way to disconnect. You can force it, but then Network Manager will try to reconnect. Basically only way to ditch it short of uninstalling is to uncheck the connection box on the phone side of Easy Tether. Linux version doesnt have nice neat little gui like in windows. To initially connect you run command "easyteather-usb" in a terminal. Hmm, wonder if there is a help file showing options one can add to this command? Never tried.

I really prefer Azilink to tether in linux. Its not as tenacious but also not as obnoxious. I made a desktop short cut that runs the Azilink script. Found out first command in script has to be "sudo killall openvpn" or it wont connect properly. It will tell you no process to kill, but it kills something. There is no Azilink software on computer side, just on phone. On computer side need openvpn and adb. The script just tells openvpn how to connect to Azilink on phone. Meaning yes theoretically one can tether with Azilink on windows or Mac too. But since I have Easy Tether, not going to bother. dont go online with windows very often anyway.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:50 pm

Well, like say it works on Fedora 35 and on Manjaro, whatever current version is.

But not on any Debian derivation, meaning in recent years.  It just wont.  Apparently those with NetworkManager installed ignore any virtual "tun" connection.  I found this blog:  http://www.whatsmykarma.com/blog/?p=656 where the author shows three ways.  Ok the first just doesnt work.  I did finally get the nmcli way of doing it to tell me connection is up, but it isnt.  i assume some setting isnt right on my system.  i have been experimenting on my MX19 install, cause it has Azilink working and so I could easily install some missing NetworkManager stuff.

The one I am trying to get connected is a 32bit version of Debian10.  I cant find a 32bit version of openvpn that it likes or rather one that doesnt require shitload of dependencies also installed.  When one is offline, its big PITA.  I think what I will end up doing is tethering an old laptop I have to the phone, then creating a hotspot to share that connection.  Debian10 uses Wicd to connect to wifi.  Once online, can sudo apt update and then see if the Debian repositories has 32bit adb and openvpn, so at least I can use Azilink.  Azilink works with pretty much any version adb and openvpn.  On computer side, Azilink is just a script that tells openvpn how to connect to that Azilink app on the cell phone.  Adb is justt way for computer to connect to Android phone in debug mode.

Will say this all started when I couldnt get WINE to install and reliably work on any Debian11 derivation.  Also problems on Fedora 35.  So not sure if its a linux kernel problem or what.  I have gotten WINE 7+ working on older Debian10 versions like MX19.  Works in Knoppix 9.1 and Fossapup 9.5.  So ???  I think lot problem in Fedora 35 is their kinda wonky package manager dnf.  Its lot like apt-get but also isnt.  May just be my inexperience with it and I keep expecting it to respond like apt-get.  Had no problem with linux software, Firefox, aisleriot, frozen bubble, etc.  But WINE it seems bit confused.  WINE is  a huge complex package, almost an operating system in of itself.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:15 am

Success!.  I booted up 32bit Debian10 (LXDE spin).  It uses Wicd as its network manager.  I had long ago run across Wicd as way to connect to wifi, but not anything else.  But if LXDE Debian put it as their "network manager" must work for more than wifi.  Oh it doesnt have any other, not even nmcli tool.  So after it rejected the methods in the article I linked, I got to playing with Wicd.

And turned out to be stupid simple, opened gui configuration file, inserted 192.168.117.2 as IP (like in the article) and it generated the MASK and route numbers automatically.  Then the only big trick was to choose "global dns" option and go manually enter nameserver address in the /etc/resolv.conf file.  Global means it uses the nameservers listed in that file.  Then hit the Wicd connect button.  This all of course after running "sudo easytether-usb" to get the virtual "tun-easytether" option.  Use either "ifconfig"  or "ip a" command in terminal to find out your connection options at this point.  One of them should be "tun-easytether"  or "easytether-tap" or something like that, possibly even "tun0"

Oh and if for some reason you cant seem to resolve an address, enter 1.1.1.1 in your browser and go.  If your connected but nameserver doesnt work, this will do the trick.  This will take to a page describing the wonders of using Cloudflare nameserver.  Plus it simple to remember.   Unfortunately lot sites anymore wont let you navigate there using IP numerical address directly, I tried several.

Once I was connected it took forever but did "sudo apt update"  Then "sudo apt install adb and sudo apt install openvpn"  just so I can use Azilink if I ever want to.  Yes Virginia there is still a 32bit linux openvpn.  But apparently only deep in the Debian repositories.  And apt installs all those pesky dependencies that are correct for Debian10.  Try doing that manually and you will pound your head on a rock as the better option.

I wont upgrade Firefox (this is very old version) or try to install WINE until I have fast data again.  Apparently all this messing used up my fast phone data, and I am in limp home mode that is about the speed of a fast dialup connection.  For those who never experienced dialup, fast dialup is an oxymoron.  Its barely usable except for ancient static html sites or possibly with pop3 email.  When I was on dialup, this would been a dream, my speeds were maybe at best half this speed.  In 2022, its super slow.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:52 pm

Oh was experimenting with MX-19.  Couldnt get easytether to work on it, though Azilink works fine.  Installed Wicd like in LXDE Debian10.  Nope.  Then read yea network manager blocks old ifupdown and Wicd uses that or parts of it.  So "sudo apt purge network-manager"....  Reboot and Azilink fails.  But bit futzing around with Wicd and..... Houston, we have EasyTether connection, just like the Debian10.  

Obviously the big purge also purged something Azilink script for openvpn needed.  Oh and the "lo" feedback interface also gone when one runs ifconfig or 'ip a' commands.

But Easytether does work fine.  Its not automatic like in LXDE Debian10, but sure they set up Wicd to run automatically on boot.  Since its the default network manager.

Getting closer to understanding this stuff.  Least I can now get Easytether to work in anything I can both install it and Wicd.  They are a happy match.  While I couldnt get network-manager to use the tun-easytether interface for love nor money.  I also tried ceni, but it couldnt see the tun-easytether interface.  So still plenty to learn.  I imagine now with network manager purged, might be able to use the old manual way connecting with either ifupdown or ifconfig+route.

I am sure its some setting somewhere in network manager as Easytether works with the Fedora 35 NetworkManager.  NetworkManager is just complicated and more integrated into the system.  Wicd is just an automation of the old ways of connecting.

I would like to know what the heck I purged that is keeping Azilink from using tun0 connection it establishes.  Both Easytether and Azilink work in Fedora 35 and in Manjaro.  Its the Debian based systems that cause the problem.

Oh and both Puppy and AntiX will not install Easytether properly.  Easytether installation dialog in AntiX worries about bluetooth versions and stops, even though I am not going to use bluetooth option.  It installs in Fossapup but when I run it, says it creates tun-easytether, but ip a or ifconfig shows it doesnt.  If Easytether cant run on computer then doesnt matter what the network managing system is.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:44 am

I think that SSD has bad area in last third of it.  I nuked both Debian10 and Slacko and that BullseyeDog.  Made one new partition and installed MX-19.  If it doesnt stay stable nothing will.  Took much of day installing WINE.  WINE is installing Gecko.  Hey on throttled data until next month so...  

MX comes with openvpn, had to move files statically for adb so I could get it online with Azilink. Online, sudo apt update.  Then sudo apt install wicd.  Then apt remove network-manager.  It still wouldnt work with easytether so sudo apt purge network-manager.  Paid attention the purge just removed some settings apparently over what sudo apt remove did.  Ok easytether and wicd together work fine.  Now big question will Azilink still connect.  Reboot and it did.  So not sure what happened on the original MX-19.  After purging network-manager on it, could no longer use Azilink.

Now when "gecko" downloads, will see how stable Kindle for PC.  Should be stable as I increased size of partition so MX will be more in middle than in the rear third of the SSD.

Nobody else complaining of Play On Linux installation page not working.  I think POL doesnt like my tethered connection.  Says it cant reach its server.  Now why POL needs to go online at all to install software I have intallation file for is beyond me.  Too bad POL was a nice convenient front end for WINE, but its not really needed.  As long as WINE stays stable, its not hard to use it directly without POL or any other front end.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:29 pm

The never ending update, takes literally hours on throttled speed. But says zero updates, so guess its finally done. Sure there were a lot since this is based on Buster which is growing old.

I however got to playing more in the wee hours with networking. Figured out Ceni. It doesnt launch, connect, or run anything. Its a configuration app that will create entry in /etc/network/interfaces. This allows you to use ifup/ifdown commands to activate a connection. You can even do "sudo ifup -a" and it will open first available connection. Oh and I had wicd open. When I ran that command, it showed "tun-easytether" connected. So wicd is just a slick front end for ifupdownquery CLI. It makes life easier. But if it goes away and it apparently wont work in Debian11 due to lack of support for python2. But one can still either run Ceni or do whole thing manually creating the necessary files in /etc/network/interfaces.

Do have to purge network-manager and/or connman if its installed. So they dont try to suppress or fight with ifupdownquery. Anyway its real shame nobody is updating Wicd, really liked its interface once I figured it out, but since its just a front end, once you learn whats needed can do it manually.

Oh yes Kindle for PC in WINE 7.0 stable is working fine. I tried Vivaldi browser. It used to be more independent started by couple refugees from Opera Browser when Opera went to being a Chrome clone. Well Vivaldi is Chrome clone now too, just with some different tools and look. Not terribly impressed with it. But there are really only two major browsers anymore and everything else tends to be a clone of one of those. Shame, but I get it, takes lot time and manpower to make a truly independent browser that can handle modern web. Writing was on the wall when Opera gave up its own independent rendering engine. I still fondly remember it when it was the third alternative to IE and Netscape. And they actually sold it, wasnt free back then.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:24 am

Hmm, got spare hard drive today.  What the heck, installd MX-21 on it.  MX-21 doesnt support python2 so no wicd.  

So fresh install MX-21, no connections.  Didnt apt update. First "sudo apt purge network-manager" and reboot.

Next install the Easytether deb for Debian 10.  They dont have one specified for later versions Debian.

Create manually "/etc/resolv.conf" file and insert "nameserver 8.8.8.8"  Thats google public nameserver, use whatever nameserver you want.  The one your cell uses or another public one.

Clear out contents "/etc/network/interfaces" file and insert this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto tun-easytether
iface tun-easytether inet static
       address 192.168.117.2
       broadcast 192.168.117.255
       gateway 192.168.117.1
       netmask 255.255.255.0

Thats it.  Then "sudo easytether-usb" which will generate the tun-easytether interface. Then "sudo ifup -a"

You want the contents as minimal as possible in the interfaces file.  Ifup doesnt always ignore commented out items.  Better they just dont exist.  And to bring it down "sudo ifdown -a",  The -a option just says first usable interface it finds.  If you have others like a wifi or lan connection, then you would want to specify.

Anyway this works.  There is no tray icon or anything else.  Open a browser and it works or it doesnt.

But this is the manual way to do it without wicd or ceni.  And using minimal resources.   Doesnt look like wicd will get rewritten to use python3 so its history.  Ceni is configuration utility for setting up ifup/ifdown.  But again without a connection, it would be hassle to install manually.  Not rocket science to do this manually.

I havent looked, may or may not be a tray icon independent of any network software, to show connection up or down.  Wicd had one as did network-manager.  Probably an independent one out there.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:11 pm

Ok, MX uses xfce4 panel and it comes with option of a network activity tool. So add the tool and set it to monitor tun-easytether, and you have a "blinkie" in the tray so when you are connected. Hover over it and it will say if your connection is active. It only does the bar lights when there is data in or out.

But anyway, ifup/ifdown seems easy way to go on anything not supporting wicd. Well if you have no other way to connect, then since ifup/ifdown is already there, it still might be the way to go. Still wondering if one could somehow leave network-manager there and just stop it blocking ifup/ifdown. There really ought to be more intuitive controls for network-manager rather than a bunch of halfass workarounds that may or may not work depending which distribution it comes installed in. But "sudo apt purge network-manager" does take care of it. Too bad if thats only way to deal with it. Should just be easy way to turn it off, but leave it intact. Cause it is way to go for wifi I think. But guess I can make entry in interfaces file if I need to do wifi. Not like I am regularly traveling or anything. Then instead of "sudo ifup -a" would specify "sudo ifup tun-easytether" or "sudo ifup wan0" or similar.

Bit like modern cars, they found a way to make them super complex and super expensive, when they still dont do anymore than haul your butt from point A to point B. Ifup/ifdown is pretty simple once you figure it out. Simplest solution is usually best solution.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:03 pm

Easytether on VoidPup64. Yep genuine Puppy Linux. And with the Debian version easytether installed manually, it does same as any other official Puppy, you get tun-easytether, then immediately "easytether: unkown", Search brought up ONE mention of this, from some guy several years ago in first Manjaro forum and then Reddit. He basically answered his own question saying he downloaded one specifically for Manjaro on the Easytether Mobile Stream website. Problem solved.

Ok big hint, Puppy Linux doesnt like the Debian/Ubuntu version of easytether. Ok, VoidPup is supposed to handle Void Linux packages. So guess what they have a Void package for easytether. Its actually a compressed assortment of Void packages, 32bit, 64bit, etc.

I maybe just havent got hang of it but I couldnt get VoidPup to do anything with the Void easytether pkg. So I unarchived it. Merged the /usr folder generated into Puppy /usr. Now I needed libcrypto.so.43. Not used on the Debian version. So find the Void package for libcrypto.so.45. Again it wont install so unarchive it and copy the file to /usr/lib. Try running easytether-usb again and this time it complains of no adb key. Now this I have seen on MX in /etc/easytether directory. The Void pkg didnt provide this so copied it from MX-19. And run easytether-usb again. It generates tap-easytether interface. Yea no idea why tap-easytether instead of tun-easytether in MX, but whatever.

Puppy does have ifup but its the bastardized version via busybox. It some built in default option that doesnt let me use it for tap-easytether.

So looked at Puppy internet connection wizard. Chose 'wired or wireless lan'. And tried all three tools, the last one, McDougals Network Wizard. It sees tap-easytether and able to use DHCP to bring it up. If it didnt, it also provides way to set it up statically like wicd or ifup.

I suspect the busybox version ifup can be disabled and real ifup installed. Though seems on Puppy not a big difference either way.

So tried to surf, nope. McDougal overwrote the /etc/resolv.conf file. I had to then delete that and add: nameserver 8.8.8.8 You can of course use your preferred nameserver. And brought up the minimalist browser "Light" included with VoidPup. If you want Firefox or Chromium, there are links to download SFS files for those. Need to see how to leave static nameserver so it doesnt overwrite /etc/resolv.conf every time.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:13 pm

Oh did try demo version Bodhi Linux. Its really just a very cut version Ubuntu only with Moksha desktop. Its ok. I tried Ubuntu version easytethr, Installed. But had to do the "systemctl start dhcpcd@tap\\x2deasytether" after sudo easytether-usb. Network Manager then handles it. Sucks that every linux has its easytether quirks.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:16 am

Played with easytether on VoidPup for long enough ran into something wanting to molest /etc/resolv.conf file, either nuking it or rewriting it. And frankly I prefer using ifup over Dougal. I finally decided for simplicity to use the Busybox ifup. It was compiled with options I rather werent there, but whatever. I adapted to it and have it doing what needs to be done.

So I made a simple script to bring up the easytether connection. Shortcut on desktop calls the script.

Here are the commands in the script.

ifdown tap-easytether
   easytether-usb
   ifup tap-easytether
   rm /etc/resolv.conf
   cp /etc/phillip.txt /etc/resolv.conf

When using ifup, you really need to use ifdown when shutting down computer so if you forget, first line takes care of that. Second line calls easytether-usb and creates the tap-easytether interface. Third line activates it, this also will sometimes overwrite /etc/resolv.conf So after trying several things, seem blunt force trama is most reliable. Remove /etc/resolv.conf Then I have nameserver I want in file called phillip.txt. So copy phillip.txt to /etc/resolv.conf, recreates resolv.conf with contents of phillip.txt.

So click the shortcut and assuming you have your phone set up properly with developer debug and box ticked in the easytether app, you are good to go. Oh Puppy doesnt have /etc/network/interfaces. I created it and defined the tap-easytether interface statically there. This has to exist if you are using ifup. Oh there is an ifup option that lets you define the static interface in any file. /etc/network/interfaces is just the default. And frankly good a place to put it as any. Cause this is where you expect it to be. Dont have to beat your head against brick wall trying to remember where you put it.

Contents of which like I gave in previous post:

auto lo
   iface lo inet loopback

auto tap-easytether
   iface tap-easytether inet static
   address 192.168.117.2
   broadcast 192.168.117.255
   dns-nameservers 1.1.1.1
   gateway 192.168.117.1
   netmask 255.255.255.0

I personally like using ifup for the easytether, makes life easier. And in other linux that use NetworkManager in some form, this bypasses that, NetworkManager usually ignores any interface defined in /etc/network/interfaces. But like I mentioned before, you can do this with Dougal network wizard once you run easytether-usb to create the tap-easytether interface. Just more steps. One click verses several.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:56 am

I did post this on Puppy Linux forum. Only been one other mention of Easytether and person answering was from UK and didnt really get that this is necessary workaround on some American phones with native tethering app blocked. Instead of helping get Easytether working, he tried to explain how to tether phone to Puppy with native app. Course unless you are using Easytether, be no way to really help somebody trying to use it.

Took me a while to get it working first in Debian then finally in Puppy. I wouldnt even tried except that it was pretty much plug and play in current Manjaro and Fedora35. For any Puppy, even the Debian/Ubuntu related ones, you still need to use the Void Linux version. Think its just the way Puppy is set up, though with only error being "easytether: unknown" not much clue why Debian version wont run properly. Kinda amazing there is a version for Void, it must be more popular version linux than I realize. Then again I dont know how many actual versions of easytether there are, I only know for sure of the Debian and the Void versions. Now whether the Arch Linux and Fedora Linux versions are different yet or just repackaged Debian or Void??? Easytether offers several linux packages, but thats just to try and work with a particular package manager, no telling if the actual necessary bits and pieces are same or were compiled differently. The Debian and Void ones are definitely different. I am guessing the Manjaro (Arch) version is either same as Void (just packaged differently) or a third type. Remember that post I found from six year ago some Manjaro user had got that 'easytether unknown' and turned out he just had installed wrong version easytether. Meaning he probably got some Debian version.

Nobody remembers Azilink, which is shame. The only nice thing about Easytether over Azilink is that in most cases its all that needs to be downloaded to get tethering working. It has enough adb built into it to be functional. I havent had to install adb independently in any linux to use it. Now in Puppy you do also need that libcrypto.so.43 library. But just download it on phone transfer to computer, and install it statically. No dependencies or anything.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:22 am

Just tonight ran across this: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=20126.0

Apparently somebody got easytether working in Tiny Core. Thats impressive as its a VERY minimal distribution. And they used Debian version. Well parts of it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:37 pm

Use the two lines from the TinyCore link:

addgroup -S easytether
adduser -S -G easytether -h /var/lib/easytether/empty -H -s /bin/false easytether

to get the DEB version easytether going. And the DEB even installs smoothly and works in not only FossaPup but VoidPup too. Left click on the DEB and "do you want to install" YES It installs. Then if you run "easytether-usb" you get tun-easytether aquired, but immediately easytether: unknown Run those two lines and it works. Either use Dougal wizard included in Puppy or set it up to use ifup/ifdown.

No idea why the Void version requires libcrypto.so.43 nor why DEB version needs the addgroup/adduser lines. So with Puppy, choose your poison.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down